New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Need some advice for a video card

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

statuko

statuko is an unknown at this point

Hi,

I'm going to buy a Mac Pro,and I'm new in the Mac World. Here is what I think I'll take:
* Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
* 2GB memory
* 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s (I have an external hard drive in firewwwire 800)
* 16x double-layer SuperDrive

I'll use it for Digital Video Editing. I'm actually a student so it's why I can't take too much upgrade.

The big question for me it's the video card. Do I need to take a ATI 1900XT or I can keep the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT ?

May be an IMac will be enough ?

If you have order advise, feel free to tell me.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
leecho7

leecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram

You don't really need an ATI 1900xt. If you don't plan on using heavy graphics intensive programs, than the 7300GT should suit you just fine. And if you want to, you could always upgrade the graphics card later when time and money permits.
The thing with the iMac, is that you are very limited when it comes to upgrading. It's a great machine, I'm using it now, but I'm starting to see the limitations of the machine when it comes to video editing (which I do quite frequently). I personally thought I wouldn't be doing a lot of video editing to justify a professional desktop like the macpro. However circumstances changed and now i find myself needing a more powerful machine.

Go with the Macpro, with the 7300GT if you can't afford the 1900xt. You can always upgrade the card later, it's easy to do.

Bismillah ihr Rhman ihr Raheem

The only way to truly learn and gain experience is from making mistakes.
Thats why I'm a friggin genius.
QUOTE Thanks
statuko

statuko is an unknown at this point

Thanks.

So I'm going with 7300GT.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading OS on G3 iMac... | Imac 500mhz screen jumpy? »