New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Question about dual processor over single processor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CaptainStandish

I'm looking into getting a g5 mac soon. If the new models aren't released within the end of the month or beginning of april (which many speculate that they are) then I'll be getting a 1.8 g5. I'm just wondering if I should go for the dual processor or single. The most extensive thing i'm going to be using the computer for is video editing and playing some games (world of warcraft when released, halo, etc...) I realize that dual processors help out video editing, but how much of an impact do they have on gaming? thanks for your time!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If the application you are running is not coded to run a dual processor, you will not see much of an improvement. I believe Final Cut Pro is written to take advantage of multiple processors.
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainStandish
how much of an impact do they have on gaming? thanks for your time!
Again, it depends on the game. Some games take advantage of duals, but a lot don't.
QUOTE Thanks
futerfas

wait, they're releacing a new G5??? I just bought one!!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by futerfas
wait, they're releacing a new G5??? I just bought one!!
When is Apple releasing a new G5 and when did you buy yours?
QUOTE Thanks
WilliS

by the time your computer gets home, its already old techonolgy

but i doubt they will have a 3ghz out by summer.... i would probably think by next summer they will have the dual 3.0 out...maybe by winter...

they are probably in the process of making a case that can keep the g5 cool in a laptop form, and maybe get that out by summer....

they rarely do 2 or more big big annoucements at a time :-p
QUOTE Thanks
RobDreugan

G9 7.6GHZ

That'll probably be released in a week or two.
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

They are updating the G5 models to this on March 23...
G5 DP 1.8
G5 DP 2.2
G5 DP 2.4

The DP 1.8 is supposedly going to be priced around what the Single 1.6 is right now.....so if you could you should wait for the updates.
QUOTE Thanks
SogniX

Get a Dual!!!

The "most apps dont take advantage of dual processors" is hogwash!!!

My DUAL 533 MHz G4 tower is beatting the crud out of my 1Ghz G4 PowerBook!!! :eek:

I can't play UT2K4 on my PowerBook - choppy as hell! But it runs smooooooooth on the Dual 533 G4 Tower.

Not to mention my Tower beats my PB at everything I can throw at it!

Just a little disapointed in the PowerBook... but the main reason I got it was for portability... Good thing sellling the tower was never in my thoughts. heh

DUALS RULE! They kick single's butt for years on end!

PS.
My Software List that proves it (ok so they might all made to take advantage of duals) :
- Adobe Photoshop
- Final Cut Express
- Garage Band
- Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo
... and some others I can't think of at the moment...

But seriously, for what you're doing - get a Dual! You won't regret it!
QUOTE Thanks
CaptainStandish

Hey thanks a lot for the heads up guys. I think I am in fact going to get either the dual 1.8 or the dual 2.2 when they are updated. I was about to put my order in for the dual 1.8 then I read a TON about the suspected updates etc... and decided I could get the comp i was going to order for A LOT less, or if the rumors are true, get the 2.2 for what the 1.8 was, that is if they dont change the price schemes.

It would be great if the dual 2.0 was the entry level machine
QUOTE Thanks
sKaD

sKaD is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram

ouch, just hearing all this hurts me

A dual 1.8 being priced that the single 1.6 price?

I'm paying $2800 for my Single 1.8

eh, it's all worth it
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

......................two more days till the update: :drool

Can't wait.....I also heard on AppleInsider and MacRumors that they are going to release a new display line with the G5 that includes a 30"....They might bump out the 17".... :eek: :eek: :eek: :p
QUOTE Thanks
CaptainStandish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplejustWorks
......................two more days till the update: :drool

Can't wait.....I also heard on AppleInsider and MacRumors that they are going to release a new display line with the G5 that includes a 30"....They might bump out the 17".... :eek: :eek: :eek: :p

I also heard that, with the new displays matching the look of the G5. There's a prototype picture somewhere of it on the internet if you havn't seen it already. If they do update, I hope they don't get rid of the 17 :-/, it's probably the only one of their displays that I can afford heh. I hope the up the response times and all that display also.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

[QUOTE=Sogni]Get a Dual!!!

The "most apps dont take advantage of dual processors" is hogwash!!!

My DUAL 533 MHz G4 tower is beatting the crud out of my 1Ghz G4 PowerBook!!! :eek:

I can't play UT2K4 on my PowerBook - choppy as hell! But it runs smooooooooth on the Dual 533 G4 Tower.

Not to mention my Tower beats my PB at everything I can throw at it!

Just a little disapointed in the PowerBook... but the main reason I got it was for portability... Good thing sellling the tower was never in my thoughts. heh

DUALS RULE! They kick single's butt for years on end!

- If your powerbook had more ram, you'd be fine just using that....I have 768 and I played never winter nights...without any problems.....I havne't done anything w/ UT but I'm sure I'd have no problems.
QUOTE Thanks
WilliS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplejustWorks
They are updating the G5 models to this on March 23...
G5 DP 1.8
G5 DP 2.2
G5 DP 2.4

The DP 1.8 is supposedly going to be priced around what the Single 1.6 is right now.....so if you could you should wait for the updates.
me see no update.. 0_o
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Max Ram for dv400 imac? | panther download »