New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - EyeTV and Fans running.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NewtoMac

NewtoMac is on a distinguished road

Hi,

First, I have an iMac G5 that I purchased about a year and a half ago - before the new intel ones came out. I'm running the latest version of 0SX and of course, update my software whenever possible.

I have been using EyeTV for over a year now and have not had any problems - but recently, I just got a new iPod video for Christmas and I have been using the export function to convert my recordings to the iPod format. My question is that while it is exporting (which takes A LOT of time), the fans on my iMac seem to be pretty loud - usually starts after about 10 minutes of exporting. It's not bothering me, but I assume EyeTV uses a lot of power?? I just don't know if it's good to have your fans running like they are for an extensive period of time. I usually leave it on overnight so that in the morning all of my shows are ready to go for my iPod - after it's finished, of course, my mac goes to sleep - but the fans have probably been running on high for 6 hours - maybe a little longer.

Anyone have the same problem - or any suggestions? If you need more specific computer model information - let me know...not sure what i'd need to provide.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Video conversion is a processor intesive task, so the additional cooling effort is required. Not a problem.

I know it makes me feel uneasy too when the fans are running, but it's really not like the motor of a car where you forgot to change gears :-) . The fans are loud because Apple chose noisy models, if iMacs had water cooling things would be different :-) . Don't worry about it.

Though if you really want to do a lot of this video conversion stuff with big files in the future, you might want to save up for a Mac pro :-). I know I will own one someday :-D

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
NewtoMac

NewtoMac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
Video conversion is a processor intesive task, so the additional cooling effort is required. Not a problem.

I know it makes me feel uneasy too when the fans are running, but it's really not like the motor of a car where you forgot to change gears :-) . The fans are loud because Apple chose noisy models, if iMacs had water cooling things would be different :-) . Don't worry about it.

Though if you really want to do a lot of this video conversion stuff with big files in the future, you might want to save up for a Mac pro :-). I know I will own one someday :-D
Thank you very much for the response! I feel much better about it now - and it's funny, it's still converting video for me now, but the fans have slowed down a great deal!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video card overheating? | AirMac_Extreme_802.11n_Enabler »