New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Imac... Need Help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

hey guys... this is kind of a weird problem but here goes..
ok so i got my new 20 inch imac core 2 duo for xmas and i love it. it has 2gb ram and its fast as heck. There is one problem tho. Every once in a while, my user interface sounds (such as trash emptying, and message recived sounds) just stop playing. My volume is up and other sounds like iTunes and garageband all work. I have "play user interface sounds" turned on in system prefs. I even tried deleting my sound pref plist and it did nothing. Restarting the computer makes the problem go away, but it always returns after a day or so. Does anyone know how to get rid of this annoying problem??
please help!
QUOTE Thanks
Rtas09

Rtas09 is an unknown at this point

You probally have a file that u recently downloaded that is interfering with ure mac, my suggestion..reformat ure mac.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

No don't reformat!

In fact I have the same problem now and then, but it never really bothered me. Anyone else know anything?

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtas09 View Post
You probally have a file that u recently downloaded that is interfering with ure mac, my suggestion..reformat ure mac.
LOL - sounds like a typical M$ response when they can't figure out how to fix something.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtas09 View Post
Re-format sounds a bit harsh....I would uninstall whatever I have recently installed and run a program such a Onyx and repair permissions etc.....and I have only been using a Mac for a week now.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Reformatting is not only harsh but like using a nuclear bomb to get rid of a house fly. NOT the way to go at all!

If you have OnyX or MainMenu, maybe you could clean out the user and system cache and restart. See what happens next.

Let us both know how this goes. :girl:
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Have you tried some thing simple like a re-boot first ?
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

o thanks for the responses guys...the problem seems to have went away by itself...not sure what it was, but it hasnt happened in over a month

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS X on G3 iMac | Possible to use built in isight AND an external one? »