New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Power Surge

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

irishsti

irishsti is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,
I have my Mac Pro connected to a power surge, but tonight the power in my house went out twice. Can this cause some serious damage? Is there anything that I should check and make sure the machine is ok? I mean it seemed to be running fine to me. Thanks!

Tim
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

G'day irishsti,

I don't exactly understand what you mean by power surge when you say:

Quote:
I have my Mac Pro connected to a power surge
... that literally translates to a surge in power. I can only presume you mean that you have a Surge Protector between your Mac and the mains...which is an excellent idea.

Quote from Wiki:

Quote:
A surge protector is an appliance designed to protect electrical devices from power surges and voltage spikes. Surge protectors attempt to regulate the voltage supplied to an electric device by either blocking or shorting to ground voltage above a safe threshold.

It is important for every computer owner, if they wish to protect their computer from power surges/spikes, to buy and install a surge/spike protector.

I surge protect my iMac and suggest everyone do the same.

In your case there was no surge/spike in power to your Mac Pro so, if you haven't lost any data and your Mac Pro's working fine - I would recommend just keep an eye on things.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I am pretty sure he means a Surge Protector. He had 2 power black outs and wonders if his Mac Pro is safe.

If I am wrong sorry.

If you have a lot of blackouts like that, you would be better off with a good UPS that will keep power to the computer after the blackout and allow it to be shut down the proper way so there will be no damage. I once had a surge when my power browned out here in town and my new Maxtor HDD got damaged. A UPS is the way to go if you have a lot of power problems.
QUOTE Thanks
irishsti

irishsti is on a distinguished road

You are both correct. I should have worded it differently. I have the power cord hooked up to a surge protector, simply because I was told it is always a good idea. I was just worried that the power outs causing the machine to shut down very rapidly might damage it, especially since the lights went out once, I turned the computer back on and five minutes later it went out again. I guess I will just keep an eye on it. Thanks for the help!!

Tim
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

johntalin is a jewel in the roughjohntalin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM

Just to make sure that your surge protector is grounded, there should be a light on the surge protector indicating that it is or not. Most of those expensive surge protectors come with insurance in case of damage to your computer, but if not grounded, it will null the insurance.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

at worst you might have a corrupt file. if something was being saved, moved, copied, etc. otherwise, you should be ok.

i've had a UPS system for years. definitely worth investing in if you have something as pricey as a mac pro. of course, since i've had laptops for my last three main computers, i've had less of a need for a UPS. now it keeps my modem and wireless router powered in case of a blackout.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using iMAC screen with my PC | IMAC- 2 Questions »