New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Imac G4 question, opinion???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joekix

joekix is on a distinguished road

hi everyone,

i recently made the switch to mac about 2 months ago and i now own a macbook pro c2d. i wish i made the switch a few years ago when the imac g4's were out.

my question is, is the imac g4 still worth getting? i love the design of that model. it looks so cool to me. i've been seeing them on ebay, i'm not sure if i should pull the trigger or not. what's the going price for a 17"?

I have always wanted one, but is it too late? is it too outdated already? i really wouldn't mind having a desktop. i wish they kept that design with the current imacs. anyways, your comments will be greatly appreciated, and if i posted in the wrong area, i'm sorry. thanks

MacBook Pro 15 " 2.16 Intel C2D
Black Video IPOD 30GB
IPOD 2OGB
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

In my opinion, they are overpriced. I think people are paying more for them as collector's items than for sensible use. I agree, they are totally sweet looking, but I don't think the performance weighs up to the cost.

They are outdated to a certain extent. If you tried to put Tiger on it, you would probably be dissapointed by its performance. After using a MacBook, a G4 iMac would probably just dissapoint you.

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I agree with Jeff, they are outdated, and are becoming like the Cubes. More of a novalty item. I wouldn't mind having one though.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

Note: I like how I recommend not buying a G4 iMac, but then again last week I went out and bought a Cube and a Sawtooth G4. I know what it is like to get gouged on a collector's Mac (Cube).

Black MacBook
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
joekix

joekix is on a distinguished road

so what you guys are saying is the imac g4 is more of a collectors item? hmm... i wish i had just gotten 2 years ago. i went with a hp laptop that died on me a couple months ago. that's why i finally switched to mac, and now i am so interested in anything apple.

jeff, you don't recommend me buying it, yet it seems like you are saying i should go out and get gouges too. lol!

how much do you guys think i should pay for 17" with >1ghz and >512ram >80gb? what's too much? i did a completed listing on ebay, and the prices vary. i just don't want overspend for old hardware. thanks guys!

MacBook Pro 15 " 2.16 Intel C2D
Black Video IPOD 30GB
IPOD 2OGB
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

I guess I didn't word that well. I meant that I am willing(not happily, but willing) to get gouged, but I don't recommend that other people do it. I am interested more for the collector's side than for functionality. I wanted a Cube so bad ever since they came out. The Cube was part of a lot on eBay, so I had to buy a PowerMac G4 too. I'll probably just give it to the parents.

Part of what makes the prices so jumbled up on eBay is the shipping and what is included. There are lots of people that are out to make a profit on what you pay for shipping. They may charge you $75, and it might cost them $40. People will also pay more if there are more things included. Also watch out for things that need repair. You have to read the descriptions carefully. I've gotten ripped on that one before.

Take this high doallar auction vs. this one.

Black MacBook
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

if you want an iMac then get a g5 off ebay (or any other site) or an intel imac - great things !

the g4's are becoming as others have said, of a collectors item and arent really worth much in the work space or play space. !
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I guess I didn't word that well. I meant that I am willing(not happily, but willing) to get gouged, but I don't recommend that other people do it. I am interested more for the collector's side than for functionality. I wanted a Cube so bad ever since they came out. The Cube was part of a lot on eBay, so I had to buy a PowerMac G4 too. I'll probably just give it to the parents.

Part of what makes the prices so jumbled up on eBay is the shipping and what is included. There are lots of people that are out to make a profit on what you pay for shipping. They may charge you $75, and it might cost them $40. People will also pay more if there are more things included. Also watch out for things that need repair. You have to read the descriptions carefully. I've gotten ripped on that one before.

Take this high doallar auction vs. this one.
good finds of those ebay items.

a lot of gear on the first lot
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini Cake | Anyone notice the price increase of G4 minis? »