New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Difference in Memory on iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

robghosh

robghosh is on a distinguished road

I just pulled the trigger on a refurbished 24 inch iMac! Woo Hoo! It ships with 1 gig of memory. I'm a designer and I was wondering if anyone out there has had a problem using Photoshop, InDesign or Quark with 1 gig of ram. With Rosetta being as slow as it is, would 2 gigs help my machine move faster or could I wait for CS3 to come out and be as fast as it should be. Even then, would another gig help I mean of course it would, but would it be necessary? Any insight would be appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

It should run pretty darn good with just 1 gig of ram, but it will work even better with two, especially if you want to have more programs up and running at the same time. You really won't see much difference between 1 and 2 gigs, certainly not like between 1/2 and 1 gig, but things will run smoother when running multiple or ram hungry programs.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro RAM questions | Performance DDR400? »