New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Upgrading Video Card

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

svtsnake03

svtsnake03 is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to upgrade the video card in an iMac?

I know the new model comes with a choice of one of two video cards. If the one I buy has the lesser graphics card, can I buy a card and upgrade it later?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Got this information from another forum as I was not sure

Quote:
I use a 20" iMac at my church office (and another PC) and just purchased a 24" iMac for my photography business. The unit I purchased (not from Apple) was configured with the 7300 GT, 128MB graphics card. Lots of rumors out ther (many of which I've explored, looking for more than speculation) about whether one can upgrade to the 7600 GT, 256MB card. Of course, you can configure a new purchase from Apple with this upgrade, but can it be done to existing 24" iMacs once they ship...or if you purchase one with the 7300 card refurbished, used, or new from another party.

The answer is "YES". This comes first hand from Apple technical support department (which I spoke with today). Here is what they told me:

1. This upgrade can be done after purchase
2. It will not be performed by any Apple store (they just won't do it). As to why, your guess is probably accurate.
3. It can be performed by an authorized Apple reseller/service center. They can (whether they will may be another issue) order this part (the 7600 GT card) and install it for you. The Apple Technical Support representative assured me that there is a part number that is availalbe to them if they chose to order it and perform this upgrade.
4. What do you do if your local authorized Apple reseller/service center refuses? Apple Tech Support gave me this advice: keep inquiring with other Apple resellers until you find one that will let you give them your business. According to Apple, they are out there.

So, there you have a little "Apple Insider" news. Gentlemen (and Ladies), start your engines!

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
b0b

b0b is on a distinguished road

You might want to have a look at this http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...88/?ST=english

This IS on a slightly older model, core duo not core 2, but the graphics chip does not look like its removable.
QUOTE Thanks
SpindleX

SpindleX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB

The iMac 24'' has interchangeable video cards so you can upgrade to the GT 7600 256MB if you like. The 17'' and 20'' however do not offer this.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Freeze after Sleep | al 1GHz PowerPC G4 help »