New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - no sound from internal speakers ONLY

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bcmountain

bcmountain is on a distinguished road

I am getting no startup sounds at all, and the Built-In Audio is not working. Headphones and speakers work fine however. I have scoured boards and have made sure my system prefs were okay and that audio midi assistant had the right numbers. I do not need to have that speaker work. I just want to make sure this is not a sign of a failing logic board or any other big mishap. It is a Power Mac G5 runing 10.4.8, 1 GB RAM...here is what I have done:

I have reset the PRAM, ran all TechTool diagnostics as well as Mac's hardware tests, repaired permissions, ditched the sound.plist, restarted, checked the connection inside the tower, created a new user, to no avail.

Don't need it, but should I worry about it. If it were the sound card, I would think that no speakers/headphones would work.
QUOTE Thanks
SpindleX

SpindleX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB

The internal speaker is most likely bad.
QUOTE Thanks
moo1

moo1 is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem but just went to the Trash, saw i had only a recovered file in there, binned it, restarted and all was fixed. Hope this works for you ...or anyone else
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What shall I get | Problem on boot up »