New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - gfx performance - Radeon 9200/32MB or GMA950/64VRAM?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

claven2

claven2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook 1.83GHz C2D, 2Gig ram

If a chap were going to look for a late G4 or early core-Solo mini with the Radeon 9200 V-card sporting 32MB ram, would it perform better or worse than a newer Core Duo with an intel GMA950 with 64MB virtual (shared) VRAM?

I'm not talking about CPU horsepower here, I'm more interested in being able to run the basic UB games like Lego StarWars, World of Warcraft, and to stream video to an HDTV.

I'm starting to get tired of waiting for a new Mini with a decent video card to suplement my Macbook C2D and I don't like the iMac with integral screen (ie, you get screen problems and you loose your whole machine to AppleCare for "X" weeks, plus I also already have a rather nice widescreen 19" LCD Monitor on my aging (and soon to be tossed with any luck) PC.

I know someone's going to plug the MacPro here, but I don't need quad processors & terabytes of memory and I frankly think 3K+ is far too much money for a home user to spend just to get a decent video card in his/her mac.

Now granted, CivIV and WoW run great on my maxed out Macbook (2G ram), but I'm getting sick of the stupid "you don't meet Sys Reqs" messages that companies like Aspyr code into their software in their games detect you have a Macbook. Guess they just don't want annoying phonecalls from users with 512MB complaining about performance...

My understanding is the Radeon equipped Minis won't generate that annoying message?
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

To be honest, they're both crummy. The Mini is a cheap machine, which is great for everything apart from games really.

If games are important, have a look at the iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
claven2

claven2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook 1.83GHz C2D, 2Gig ram

iMac - Blah. I really do NOT like integrated monitors and won't buy one EVER, except in a latop.

So I guess it may be back to waiting to see if Apple (ever) releases a mini with a graphics processor worth owning.

I definitely won't shell out for a MacPro. If apple thinks that is how they will grow their market - making gaming-capable machines that cost 3X or more the cost of the equivalent PC - then they won't be getting any more of my hardware money, though I do LOVE my Macbook.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 10 flash reset / IMAC ?? | Powermac g4 Quicksilver PS upgrade »