New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Powermac g4 Quicksilver PS upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RAWRoutLOWD

RAWRoutLOWD is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm a first time poster and first time mac user, so I'm having a little difficulty with my mac. I bought a powermac g4 quicksilver on ebay a couple months ago, and I've done numerous upgrades to it.

Specs:
1.5ghz processor
1.5gb ram
GeForce2 MX

So I feel that it's in need of a serious graphic card update, so I bought a radeon 9800 off ebay for really cheap. But when I installed it, my computer wouldn't turn on. I soon learned that my power supply couldn't handle it, so now I want to upgrade my power supply. Being a long time PC user, and comfortable with opening up the case and all, the actual upgrading shouldn't be a problem, but I'm having trouble finding the right power supply. The radeon 9800 needs at least 300W of power but I've looked on a couple sites and they don't come cheap. I was wondering where I could find a cheap power supply. Is it possible to use an ATX power supply? Also, I found a decent priced one (around $100) on ebay but its for Digital Audio, will it work on my quicksilver? Thanks in advance.

-RAWR
QUOTE Thanks
SpindleX

SpindleX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB

That particular model should have a 340Watt PS, have you checked? The Digital Audio PS would't work, different PS.
QUOTE Thanks
RAWRoutLOWD

RAWRoutLOWD is on a distinguished road

Oooh, i figured it out... I made a stupid mistake! Thanks for the help, btw.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« gfx performance - Radeon 9200/32MB or GMA950/64VRAM? | Mem space? »