New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - al 1GHz PowerPC G4 help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sterytyper

sterytyper is on a distinguished road

hey guys, well i posted this same thread on a different site aswell and wanted to see what your guys response was also.

well let me start off by saying that i have used this mac for about a year now. before i was using it, it was my brothers, and he bought it in 2002-2003, i forgot when exactly. it has always been working pretty good. but maybe around a month ago it started to crash alot (whole screen freezes and gets dark grey with error message) its happened maybe over 50 times (no exagerration) and i always thought "hmm no big deal". well i backed up all my files, and format the computer. iTunes was installed on the newly operating system (OS X 1.4) and i had a music data cd i was going to import. so i put the dvd in, and began importing. but something strange happened. it was going EXTREMELEY SLOW..like not normal slow. and it kept on freezing, without the grey screen. so this really bugged me. why is it doing it i thought to myself. i called my brother up and he said it might be the hardrive dying out, so i was thinking maybe i should buy a new hard drive and it should solve the problem. so my questions are

1.) How can i resolve this problem
2.) Where can i buy a great size (GB) hardrive from online that will be compatable and well for my powermac
3.) Any suggestions would be great

ALSO: i was thinking of getting RAM for it, the max is 1.5GB right guys? Maybe i can buy that online for cheaper. thx again guys!!
QUOTE Thanks
SpindleX

SpindleX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB

Have you ran Disk Utility, TechTool, DiskWarrior etc...? Also, what model is your Powermac G4???
QUOTE Thanks
sterytyper

sterytyper is on a distinguished road

model? how do i check what it is? and no i havent used tech tool, disk utility, or any of those.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading Video Card | Panther, Firmware, & iMac G3 »