Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Desktops (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/)
-   -   PCI Express Surround Sound Card? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/51745-pci-express-surround-sound-card.html)

Nevermind 01-26-2007 01:40 PM

PCI Express Surround Sound Card?
 
Hi there

New to mac's but been using and customizing Pc's for years.

Been searching for a PCI express sound sound card to use with my speakers but have not found anything. Is there any way of upgrading a Mac Pro to surround sound? Ideally 5.1. ATM I'm mainly using it on windows XP so if it is devices for windows only that would be just as helpful.

Thanks

Craig

PowerBookG4 01-26-2007 03:15 PM

I use the optical port on my quad, which supports 5.1, and works really well.

DigitalJesus 01-26-2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevermind (Post 314008)
Hi there

New to mac's but been using and customizing Pc's for years.

Been searching for a PCI express sound sound card to use with my speakers but have not found anything. Is there any way of upgrading a Mac Pro to surround sound? Ideally 5.1. ATM I'm mainly using it on windows XP so if it is devices for windows only that would be just as helpful.

Thanks

Craig

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but i dont think such a device exists. There are plenty of PCI surround sound cards but with the amount of data running through the bus i dont think its necessary to utilize the bandwidth of PCI-E.

Creative makes some excellent sound cards, check them out at Creative.com

Nevermind 01-26-2007 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 (Post 314047)
I use the optical port on my quad, which supports 5.1, and works really well.

Ok how would that work if i have surround sound speakers with the 3 * 3.5 jack's? Do i need an adapter and if so where do i get one?
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalJesus (Post 314063)
Someone correct me if i'm wrong but i dont think such a device exists. There are plenty of PCI surround sound cards but with the amount of data running through the bus i dont think its necessary to utilize the bandwidth of PCI-E.

Creative makes some excellent sound cards, check them out at Creative.com

Well the mac pro only has PCI express expansion slots so i need a PCI express one?

Craig

MacHeadCase 01-26-2007 05:06 PM

From what I found in Google, PCI Express sound cards do exist for the Mac Pro but they are mostly for either recording studio work or high-end video editing.

But at Apple there is this Knowledge Base Article, Mac Pro: External ports and connectors:

Quote:

Optical digital audio in/out port:

Connect to decks, recievers, digital instruments, and 5.1 surround-sound speaker systems using standard Toslink cables or fiber-optic cables with a 3.5 mm plastic or nylon optical plug. You can transfer stereo or encoded 5.1 audio using the S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) protocol and Toslink cables.
Click on the link for more info.

Hope this helps. :girl:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.