New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Blueberry iMac issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

castufari

castufari is on a distinguished road

A friend's blueberry iMac (crt) went south on her the other day. When you turn it on the apple logo appears then nothing. Checked the diagnostics, everything is fine. Tried to repair the permissions and verify the disc but it said "invalid sibling link". Broke out DiskWarrior. It spent the day doing its thing, then I rebooted. Now it gives me a kernel panic. Nice.

The machine had OS9 and OS X on it. The owner used both and had documents saved on both in no order - "I just saved stuff where ever".

I'm trying to get it working again so her kid can do her homework. Here's where I need some help.

Since she has stuff saved all over creation, if I do an OS X install with the "archive and ____" option, will I still be able to get to the OS9 part of the drive to recover data? I'm not sure if the HD is bad or not. I could give her a spare of mine, but I'm trying not to spend money on something that isn't mine.

What would you do in a situation like this?
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Do you have the recovery CDs?
QUOTE Thanks
castufari

castufari is on a distinguished road

Yes. I'm trying NOT to lose any data with this. Is that possible? I guess it's time to send her to a class to teach her how to save data in one place AND to backup.
QUOTE Thanks
cjay

cjay is a jewel in the roughcjay is a jewel in the rough

I gave my kid sister one of these iMacs and you have to admit they're pretty long in the tooth. I expect it to die any day now. Even updating software can kill this thing. If your friend's still got the original hd I don't like your chances.

If you've tried everything and still no go then you have to use the recovery cds. Your friend will just have to cut her losses.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

If you have the OS 9 boot install cd, boot from that. The installer does not automatically start. Then move all her files she wants to keep into her OS X user folder. Then try an archive and install of OS X.

If possible, backup her files to cd or zip drive and do a wipe and fresh install (preferably on a new hard drive if it's the original drive).

I agree, teach her where to save files and get her organized.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If you OS 9 is not corrupted, you should be able to boot from it. I believe that if you reboot your system and press and hold the option key. You should get a choose of what OS you want to boot from.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« BF2 iMac 20" best settings?? | USB 2.0 PCI card issue »