New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Who/What keeps stealing my RAM?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EfiniVii

EfiniVii is on a distinguished road

I just switched from an XP system to a mini and I have to say I am extremely happy with my decision. I have had my Core Duo system for about 2 days before I upped the memory from the 512 to a 1 gig/256 stick combo. I have been watching the activity monitor since turning the newly upgraded system on yesterday and when it first came on I had almost 1 gig free memory. When I finished with it at the end of the night I was down to 650 free doing nothing but Safari browsing. Today after some WoW patching I notice I barely have 150 free. I am running nothing, I have removed all ram sucking programs that I would never use. I just find it odd that I have a steadily deterirating memory problem even though it is running just as fast as it was when it said I had a ton of free memory.

I suppose the question is does the mac have a tendancy to hide what it is using ram on or is the activity monitor just lying to me? Anything to reset or clear? Any help would be great even though I'm not even sure this is a real issue.

One other thing, I notice my Virtual Memory size is steadily growing, any way to adjust this or clear it out?
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

this recent post has some good info:

Memory Terms

also explains a bit how OS X likes to use it's ram rather than let it sit unused.

welcome to the forums!

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
EfiniVii

EfiniVii is on a distinguished road

Well, that explains everything.

Thanks very much!
QUOTE Thanks
DigitalJesus

DigitalJesus is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz(CD)/512/80/128MB VRAM/15"

Step 1 - Steal RAM
Step 2 - ???
Step 3 - PROFIT!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Just remember that OSX uses RAM very differently than XP. When I first set up Jaguar and later Panther I was at first shocked when I looked at the Activity monitor, but once I found how OSX used RAM, all was ok.

That above thread is excellent and explains things very well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sick G5, won't keep anything down... | Larger Monitor for G4 »