New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Mac Pro RAM questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Icicle

Icicle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7

Wow, Im new to this whole 2 processor thing I guess.....

DO I have to buy 2 DIMMs in order to pop them in my new 3.0 Ghz Mac pro?

I bought one http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820161044 and My computer isnt recognizing it at all unless I pop it into one of the slots in place of a stock one, and then it only recognizes 512MB of it (assuming because thats all the other stock one left in is?)

So, to clarify, I assume I need two? and they need to be in the second set of DIMMs right? (2 on top card, 2 on bottom card)

Can I just go to COMPUSA and buy another one? or do I need to order the exact same one from newegg so they match?

Thanks guys, I thought I was pretty good at this stuff, I think I just got a wake up slap from the tech gods....

Kevin, Spokane Washington USA
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

It says server RAM, which may be causing the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Per the Mac Pro Manual on changing / adding memory and available here - memory must be added in pairs and each module within a pair must match and be from the same manufacturer. Pairs do not need to match each other.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Icicle

Mac Specs: MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7

Awesome, thanks for the instructions link and info, I will just order another one then.

QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

You seems to have bought the wrong RAM. Take a look at this article.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Don't know about this being the wrong RAM. According to Wintec's page it meets all the specs except they do not mention if it is registered or unregistered memory.

While I am not familiar with Wintec, most memory manufacturers will list registered memory in their specs while with un-registered memory they will make no mention of it.

A quick call or e-mail to Wintec should answer the question.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Well it seems everyone beat me to it but here is my 2 cents worth.

Quote:
The Mac Pro computer introduced in August 2006, based on the Dual-Core Intel Xeon processor, provides eight RAM slots that accommodate 240-pin SDRAM Fully Buffered DIMMs (FB-DIMMs) up to 1.25 in height and up to 1 in width. The FB-DIMMs must be PC2-5300 compliant and must be unregistered, 8-byte, nonparity, and ECC.

The Mac Pro ships standard with two 512 MB, 667 MHz, SDRAM FB-DIMM installed, for a total of 1 GB. The largest capacity FB-DIMM supported is 2 GB, with a maximum memory capacity of 16 GB.

The memory controller supports 512 MB, 1 GB, and 2 GB FB-DIMMs, installed in identical pairs.

The width of each 667 MHz memory bus is 72 bits (including ECC). The Mac Pro supports a CAS latency of 5.

FB-DIMMs made by other manufacturers that do not include a sufficient heat sink may cause the fans to run faster (and louder) or the memory chips to run slower so as not to overheat.
QUOTE Thanks
Icicle

Its the right RAM, it works with one of the stock ones actually, I was just unaware of the needed matching pairs until you guys mentioned it, THanks for all the info I will just order another and be all set with a GIG more than I planned on, not a bad thing altogether I guess

Thanks all for the friendly help

Loving this new machine

QUOTE Thanks
DigitalJesus

DigitalJesus is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz(CD)/512/80/128MB VRAM/15"

do the mac pros come stock with ECC memory? pairing ECC and non-ECC will cause issues.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Taken from post #7:

The FB-DIMMs must be PC2-5300 compliant and must be unregistered, 8-byte, nonparity, and ECC
QUOTE Thanks
Fijiji

Fijiji is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro

All the MacPro models must be paired ... Must be matching pairs these are dual channell modules so if you use different modules in a pair your computer will be intermitant crashes and kernel panics .... Put each module matched in pairs of 2 ... then you may use other brand for secong 3rd and 4th pair.
Let me know if it helped.
Fijiji
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« realtime grapping and marking | Difference in Memory on iMac »