New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - 2 problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ma Junior

Ma Junior is on a distinguished road

1. I bought my Mini in August 2006. I bought the 60gb model. Right out of the box it only had about 37gb of free space, which really ****** me off. I have since downloaded some music and lots of photos on to it. But all together they only take up about 10 gb. My brother has some music and videos under his own profile, but they barely take up 5gb. As of today, my Mini says I have 933mb left of free space. I really don't understand how this is possible. What can I do to free up some space?

2. I was trying to make a picture cd. When I inserted my blank cd into the drive it did not read the cd. Nothing came up on my desktop. It will not eject. I tried restarting the computer and holding down the mouse button, using the disk utility, along with 3 or 4 other methods that I found through the search function. I am using a non apple keyboard, so I do not have an eject key. The cds that I'm using are Imation 700mb 80 min cds. I've made music and picture cds successfully before with this brand. I don't understand why its not working now. Any tips?
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Does it say 60Gb anywhere on the label on the box? It sounds like you have the 40Gb model to me!
QUOTE Thanks
ripfrankwhite

ripfrankwhite will become famous soon enough

Use this to tell you what is using your space. http://www.derlien.com/

BTW a 60gb hard drive is only a 56gb drive. Also, OS X takes up a BIG chunk.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

These programs (if you can get them loaded with the room you have left!) will tell you what is taking up your disk space:

Disk Inventory X: http://www.derlien.com

WhatSize: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13006

Good luck!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Ma Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
Does it say 60Gb anywhere on the label on the box? It sounds like you have the 40Gb model to me!
Definatly have the 60 gb.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

OS X and iLife take up a lot of space, but they shouldn't take up 20GB. I agree with the suggestions made above, run one of the space analysis apps to get a better idea of what has chewed up your drive space.

As for the stuck disc, is it making any noise? Is it trying to spin? I worry that perhaps you have a warped disc stuck in your drive. Follow this link for a variety of methods to eject:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...41011075232575
QUOTE Thanks
Ma Junior

Well I freed up about 12 gb of space. I use limewire to download my music. Its saves into a folder. iTunes then automatically copies all the files into the iTunes programs. So In my folder I had 6gb of music and another 6 gb of copied usic in iTunes. So I deleted the original files and left the ones in Tunes.

As far as the cd goes. It came out after i rebooted teh computer. I tried to make another picture cd using a brand new cdr. It began to bunr the info to teh disk, but froze at 79%. So now that cd is stuck in the drive. Uh:radioacti
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
OS X and iLife take up a lot of space, but they shouldn't take up 20GB. I agree with the suggestions made above, run one of the space analysis apps to get a better idea of what has chewed up your drive space.

As for the stuck disc, is it making any noise? Is it trying to spin? I worry that perhaps you have a warped disc stuck in your drive. Follow this link for a variety of methods to eject:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...41011075232575
A full install of iLife is about 10gb, and a full version of OSX is close to 10GB also, so I can see having a install out of the factory being 20GB.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OSX Tiger on old G3 iMac?... | Sick G5, won't keep anything down... »