New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - 10 flash reset / IMAC ??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rodeo

rodeo is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I have ONE strange issue with my imac.

It is a PowerPC G5 (3.0) 20" 1.8GHz running OSX 10.3.9, which is about 2 years old.

Now, the thing runs great - but of late, the old fella has been randomly reseting.

When this happens it will reset, and while the screen is still black the power light will flash 10 times (exactly everytime), then power back up again. this can go on like 5 or 6 times in a row and sometimes just once, then its fine again!!

Any help solving this issue would be fantastic!

Cheers! :dive:

Rodeo

www.owenphoto.com.au
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

have u reset the pram ? and they permisions.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

What I would do in this case is try to determine if the problem is hardware related or not.

You could try, like christm suggests to reset the PRAM and repair permissions as this was still an issue in Mac OS X Panther.

On your DVD that came with your iMac there should be Apple's Hardware Test. Pop in that DVD and restart holding down the C key. I'm not too sure what you will see once the splash screen comes on, I think you have an option if you want to reinstall the OS (which you don't want at this point) but there should be something about the Hardware Test in there. Once you choose the test, remember to run it in the Extended Mode so every hardware component is tested.

If your iMac came with a CD set, there should be a dedicated CD for the Hardware Test, I believe.

See what the results say. Then report back to us with these results so we can see what is happening.

I've heard that the Hardware Test is sometimes not very accurate though but for now, we have nothing else to go on at this point for a diagnosis.

Besides, I once had RAM installed by the store I bought my iMac G4 from gone bad and the Hardware Test picked it up just fine.

So let us know what you come up with. Good luck! :girl:

Edited to add:

Your iMac G5 is a second generation model, is it not? It didn't have an integrated iSight? (How to identify your iMac)
QUOTE Thanks
rodeo

Hi macheadcase!

thanks for the help, but i dont seem to have a hardware test cd, just the original software cdx2??

And also my imac is the 1st generation, no isight cam is in it!

So where from here????!!!???
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

G'day rodeo,

Running the hardware test on your iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Uhm, rodeo, why don't you take a look at this: iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Power Supply Issues.

I recall that the iMac G5s first generation had major issues to the point where Apple started this free repair program. Some of the symptoms seem to be just like yours...

Quote:
The iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Power Supply Issues applies to 20-inch iMac G5 systems that have power-related issues as a result of a specific component failure within the computer's power supply. If your 20-inch iMac G5 fails to start up after the power button has been pressed or exhibits intermittent shutdown issues and your computer's EMC number is 2056, your computer may be eligible for repair, free of charge. There are no known safety issues caused by this component failure. ...
QUOTE Thanks
SpindleX

SpindleX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB

Yeah, the REP was for the logic board as well. If you know how to open it, check for Vented/Bulging CAPS on the board. If you see any, take it to your nearest Service provider for repair.
QUOTE Thanks
rodeo

hey fellas,

my EMC number did not match up so i was unlucky there, so i found this where my serial number does match up in the first category!!!

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/re...ensionprogram/

The iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Video and Power Issues applies to first generation iMac G5 computers that have video or power-related issues as a result of a specific component failure. If your iMac G5 is exhibiting any of the symptoms listed below and your computer's serial number is within the noted ranges, your computer may be eligible for repair, free of charge. If Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) determines that your iMac G5 computer is eligible as part of the program, the repair will be covered by Apple for up to three years from the original date of purchase even if your iMac G5 is out of warranty. This is a worldwide Apple program.

Affected systems will exhibit one of the following video- or power-related symptoms:

Scrambled or distorted video
No video
No power
Note: If your iMac G5 is not experiencing any of these symptoms, you do not have to contact Apple or any Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Which iMac G5 computers are affected by the iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Video and Power Issues?
The program is available for certain first generation iMac G5 models that were sold between approximately September 2004 and June 2005 featuring 17- and 20-inch displays with 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz G5 processors.

The affected iMac G5 computers have serial numbers where the first 5 digits fall into the ranges noted below.

Serial Number ranges:

W8435xxxxxx - W8522xxxxxx
QP435xxxxxx - QP522xxxxxx
CK435xxxxxx - CK522xxxxxx
YD435xxxxxx - YD522xxxxxx

but when my mac is resetting 5 or 6 times in a row and doing the 10 flash thing, do u think that could be a power issue?

i am going to take to mac center and hope that it is repaired for free!!??!!neye:
QUOTE Thanks
rodeo

hey guys,

i took the imac in and it ended up having a year left of 3 year warranty i didnt even know i had, this was due to me being a student when i bought it in 05. so all is covered including the power issue and the dvd burning issues!

thanks for all your help!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Raid Setup for Photoshop | gfx performance - Radeon 9200/32MB or GMA950/64VRAM? »