New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Mac Pro 2gig processor worth it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

leecho7

leecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram

Hey everyone. I'm looking into getting a Mac Pro for video editing. I have a copy of Final Cut Studio 5.1 Academic version, and I do short films for school, church, and just for fun.
I was toying around with the configurations on Apple's website and was wondering if dropping the processor speed from stock 2.66 gigs to 2gigs is a good idea. I was also wondering if getting multiple Nvidia 7300's is better than getting a single ati x1900xt.

Bismillah ihr Rhman ihr Raheem

The only way to truly learn and gain experience is from making mistakes.
Thats why I'm a friggin genius.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I would advise against dropping the speed, particularly given what you are planning to do with it. Film editing is pretty demanding. You will want all the umphhh you can get.

As for the two nVidia's, I just don't know. I always assumed that this was only of value for gamers, but for the same reasons, it might apply to video editing. Opinions from other readers?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
leecho7

leecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram

Ok, thanks for the advice. It would be foolish of me to downgrade my CPU. With the memory or the graphics card, I can always upgrade those later on when the finances roll in. But the CPU is not unless I want to void my warranty and risk damaging my system.
Oh yeah, this will also be my main computer once I sell my pc. So I will also be running games on it as well.

Bismillah ihr Rhman ihr Raheem

The only way to truly learn and gain experience is from making mistakes.
Thats why I'm a friggin genius.
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

multiple gpu's will only allow you to use more monitors in OSX.

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge will become famous soon enough

I would say u should get the x1900, especially since you also want to play games. This is a much better card and will speed things up. Especially rendering.
If you have more than one monitor, the x1900 can handle 2, but if you have 3, or if you dont want to detract the performance of the x1900 you could get a 7300 for another slot.
QUOTE Thanks
joe.morgan

joe.morgan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmudge View Post
I would say u should get the x1900, especially since you also want to play games. This is a much better card and will speed things up. Especially rendering.
If you have more than one monitor, the x1900 can handle 2, but if you have 3, or if you dont want to detract the performance of the x1900 you could get a 7300 for another slot.
im sure this will apply to macs as well as PCs (as i know alot more about PCs then i do macs here is suggestion) dont mix makes for graphic cards, i think it will cause conflicts.

the 7300 nvidia card is pretty poor, in my opinion. The ATi (although i have never been a big fan of ATi) will be the better option to go for. I also do film editing as well as animation and im running the 2.66ghz mac pro with the ATi

If you are looking to save money downgrade the hard drive and buy a 2nd one if you need the space
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fan Speed and CPU/GPU Temperature | newb questions regarding adding a HD…can someone please translate into simple terms »