New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Need help tring to get Imac 333mhz up and running

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

janstrock

janstrock is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power Mac B&W 400 Mhz

I have a iMac 333mhz that I am tring to get running to use for internet in my living room.

The computer starts and comes up with a light colored screen with a folder and a question mark in the middle, sits there for a second, the screen flashes black and thats all I can get it to do.

I am tring to boot up on OSX 10.1 install disc by holding down "C" during start-up (thats how it says to do it on the front of the disc) but I am getting the same thing.

Anyone have any suggestions how I go about fixing this thing?

I have owned this iMac since new, put it away after I got a powermac tower, this is the first problems I have ever had with it. It had OSX previously installed as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

We've got the same problems here with a G3 iMac. It either comes up with a question mark, or boots up to a command prompt with various error messages.

It won't boot up from CD.

Ours is going in the bin I'm afraid.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

It could be the CD ROM's lens is dirty and that is why it will not boot from the CD. Open the door and clean the laser lens. I use a Cue Tip in some denatured Alcohol. I bought a used 333 to mess with a year or so ago and it did the same thing. Try it as it can't hurt. You are doing the right thing holding the C down to boot from the CD. Be sure you press C right after the chime and keep it down till it boots. Is the 10.1 CD dirty? After the lens cleaning it booted from my Panther CD and the OS installed. It's worked great every since.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Also check the battery on the motherboard.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
Also check the battery on the motherboard.
Good point. Also try resetting the PRAM. Power on and hold down Command(Apple)-Option-P-R down tilll you hear the Chime 2-3 Times and then let go. Hold all 4 keys down at the same time.
QUOTE Thanks
janstrock

I've tried the battery from my g3 tower, no luck

Formated a bootable HD on my g3 tower and put it in the imac, no luck

I bought 2 imac hd's and 3 CD drives from a computer recyler, tried them all, no luck

Half the time it don't even want to start up, it starts and the light on the front never turns green like it should, the front light come on like its in sleep mode. Any ideas? I'll do want it takes to fix it.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

With my 333 when the battery was bad it did that very thing. The Amber light and would never come out of sleep.

Are you sure your G3 battery is good and not weak? Do you have a voltmeter?
QUOTE Thanks
SpindleX

SpindleX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB

Could be several issues but you've put 2 HD's in with no avail so I'm thinkin it's the MLB, perhaps a bus problem on the board.
QUOTE Thanks
janstrock

The battery I used is only 2 months old so its more than likely ok.

Do you think a new motherboard would resolve this problem? I am tring to get this computer up and running to use for internet on my living room TV.
QUOTE Thanks
SpindleX

SpindleX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB

Most likely, you already switched out several components and eliminated them soo..give it a try.
QUOTE Thanks
kevin_msu

kevin_msu has a spectacular aura about

could something on the board be dead so its ... well.. toast?

i had an ex that got one of those new and it was a PILE... never worked right. i'd hate to see the results 8 1/2 years later.

MacBook owner since 7/15/06
13inch White, 2.0 ghz Intel
My first Mac was a Powerbook 165c :mac:

Visit my .Mac page!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« M-Audio Sound Card | My G5 refurb woes... »