New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Getting a small monitor for Mac Mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stonesrock

stonesrock is on a distinguished road

Here the deal. I just switched last week to my iMac, which I am loving the **** out of. As I was getting everything set up, getting my old PC desktop set up for kids, changing my wireless network, etc, I finally got around to grabbing my video stuff (her PC had DVD burner) to transfer over. Well, her laptop took a big crap, couldn't even get into safemode. I even swapped in a new harddrive for $75 bucks, reran the software to boot up machine, this didn't even work. Freaking memory or motherboard is screwed, whatever, enough of that ranting.

I'm just going to get her another machine ,but she only uses it for surfing and doing bills. Though about getting her a Mac Mini, but she has a rolltop desk that will only hand a monitor that is about 12 inches high (this is why laptop worked good). I just want to avoid getting another dang PC, but also need to keep some of the costs down after my investment in my iMac 20" with extras.

Any thoughts out there. Looked at Apple sight for a reconditioned notebook, but nothing in the range I'm looking to spend.

Thanks.

Well when you're sitting back in your rose pink Cadillac
Making bets on Kentucky Derby Day
QUOTE Thanks
bucephalus

bucephalus is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry, I really tried to make sense of your post. The individual words are English words, but your post makes no sense, at least in English.
QUOTE Thanks
kman445

kman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.66GHz Core2Duo // 15" Macbook Pro2.53GHz Core2Duo

i believe he is looking to get a cheap present for his wife(?), and was thinking of gettign a mac mini,, but the desk the computer only has enough room for a monitor that is 12" high

"I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

I'm looking at an old G3 iMac here with a 15" screen. It's about 17" high.

I don't think there's a monitor in existence that's less than 12" high.

Maybe you should look at a laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The Mini would be a great and cheap idea. As far as a small monitor, I have seen some pretty small Flat Panels. Check Ebay. His post makes perfect sense to me by the way. I know just what he wants to do. I will look around and if I find a small monitor I will get back to you.

I wonder if this would work? It does have a 15-Pin VGA connector and the size is right.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Elo-1215L-Dark-G...QQcmdZViewItem
QUOTE Thanks
Slokunshialgo

Slokunshialgo will become famous soon enough

Actually, you can get pretty close... my monitor with stand and all is ~15-16" tall, but the actual monitor itself is only 13". It's an LCD one, and if you were to get a small one, you should be able to attach a mount onto the back of it to keep in mounted to the beck of the desk, or a wall, and cut it down to just the essential monitor itself.

(Note: My monitor is a 17" Philips LCD)

PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 2 GM RAM, Total 750 GB HDD, Windows Vista Business (For gaming), Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (64-bit), Slackware 12 (For GTK# coding)
Mac: 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Mini
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 Ram Upgrade, ecc or non-ecc | G4 QuickSilver Dolby Digital & 720p Upgrades? »