New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - imac conflict os11?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brupaint

brupaint is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac os 10

I installed panther on my imac, that cool et looking model, going from 10.2 .8.

The third install cd said something about os11. It seems firefox and a few other things are quirky. any feedback?

On startup it was all blue then I had to restart.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Mac OS X Tiger, which is version 10.4 is the latest.

What do you mean by quirky?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Correct me if I am wrong, but you are probably referring to X11.
It isn't necessary unless you plan on running open source apps that require it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
brupaint

open source? and I guess it is x11?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Open source apps like GIMPShop and OpenOffice, to name just two of them.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Actually, MHC, both of those apps have versions that don't need X11.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Really? Oh well guess I was looking at an older page for the downloads. :girl:
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of

Gimpshop is not X11 dependent, Gimp.app is, both very similar, and open source. NeoOffice is a clone of OpenOffice, just like Gimpshop, doesn't require X11.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

From this page, it seems OpenOffice does require X11? Or do I have it wrong? *Scratches head*

I know NeoOffice does not need X11, I always thought OpenOffice did...

Quote:
Mac OS X (X11)
Power Mac G3 400Mhz or higher
Mac OS X 10.3.x (10.3.5 recommended), Mac OS X 10.4.x
256Mbytes RAM
350Mbytes available disk space
X11 required. Available for OS X 10.3 on Apple.com here and for OS X 10.4 on the OS X install disc. The instructions for Tiger users are here.
800 x 600 or higher resolution with 16.7 Million colours
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Yeah, thats what I was saying NeoOffice is a clone of OpenOffice, the only differences are that OpenOffice needs X11, where NeoOffice doesn't.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Understood.

Oh crap! I would advise not to link to the GIMPShop website it has been hacked it seems and there is a Phishing notice on the page.

Anyway I think we were both right Stretch, I posted earlier of OpenOffic not NeoOffice needing X11. Can't check GIMPShop for now but I am sure you are right on this.

BTW can anything happen to me now that I went to that darn page? :radioacti
QUOTE Thanks
brupaint

this is over my head- I have a half a gig of ram ( 525?) so upgrading would help I bet. The blue screen issue I hope will not return.... It is an old machine but I love it. Wheree do you all buy mamory and is it hard to put in?
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

OpenOffice.org does require X11 in its current incarnation. There is a development project to get a version that doesn't, but at the moment there is no downloadable version. NeoOffice is the only version of the OpenOffice codebase that doesn't need X11 at the moment.

As for the Gimp, there is no version that doesn't depend on X11 in some way or another. Gimp.app (the 'official' version) needs X11, and Gimpshop is just the same as Gimp.app with reordered menus. It still needs X11.
QUOTE Thanks
brupaint

ok lets rephrase this since those apps you all mentioned don't relate to me.

My imac does not seem to want to take the second panther cd. It had developed some kernal panic blue screen death issue which we fixed. We hope. When I tried to re upgrade to Panther it returned.
I am running os 10.2.8 and can not seem to upgrade. I have only 525 ram with one slot open. I love the computer but with all the talk on this site of changing the harddrive I am wondering if it is cost effective and what I should do.
Keep the machine which has developed this blue screen kernal panic problem, that I THINK? I have isolated to the PANTHER Upgrade? OR buy new? The panther cd I bought long ago and I think was, a family Cd but maybe not. Could that be it?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Strange goings on - disks not ejecting/system locking up | Trouble with Superdrive »