New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - mac pro and hard drives

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EvilEmpire

EvilEmpire is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 3.0 gHz 4GB mem ATI x1900 512. MacBook Pro 2.0 gHz 2GB mem ATI x1600 256. G4. G3.

Just got a Mac Pro. Its in the box still. Use machine mostly for music. Right now using G5 power mac 2.0 4gb.

I got the mac pro configured with only 160gb drive since i heard some horror stories about apples drive. i was looking to put 4 320 or 500 hitachi drives in, but as I was looking on new egg most feedback said that they come preconfig with sata 150 and that you have to run hitachi tool utl to enable sata II. What do you think. I am not going to be doing any raid. System will host all programs. 2 will have rompler programs. 3 will be plug in drive and 4 just for audio.
What would be the best drive to go with WD? Hitachi?
sata 3.0 gb 16mb cache 320 or maybe 500gb. Im leaning towards 320 since I have so many external drives where I back up audio...

oh...the mac pro specs are

3.0 xeon
4gb
ati 512 x1900
160 drive (dont know which one yet)
QUOTE Thanks
EvilEmpire

Mac Specs: Mac Pro 3.0 gHz 4GB mem ATI x1900 512. MacBook Pro 2.0 gHz 2GB mem ATI x1600 256. G4. G3.

Well nobody answerd so I went with 4 500 GB SE16 from western digital.
Now i always kept my pics and music on external drives but since i have an 500 gb system drive will it slow my programs like logic pro if i keep music library (300gb) and pics on the system drives...????
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

WD drives aren't bad, but the leader in HDs, with warranty, and quality is Seagate. They now come with a 5 year warranty, and have been extremely reliable.
QUOTE Thanks
EvilEmpire

what about system drive and keeping files (itunes songs i photo photos etc)
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of

What do you mean? I would leave the system files on the smaller drive, your original one. You can configure iTunes, and iPhoto on where to store your library, so you can put them on any drive you choose.
QUOTE Thanks
EvilEmpire

well like i said i have 4 500gb drives in the mac pro. so the system drive is 500. waht i was asking is if it slows down the machine if i keep those files on the sys drive/....
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

No, it shouldn't. I have my lowly 250GB HD partitioned 3 ways, and its accessed all day long, and I've never noticed any sluggishness (if sluggishness is a word)
QUOTE Thanks
EvilEmpire

cool so basily i would have all my system stuff programs like logic etc but also pics and music on it and then i can use the other three for plug ins and audio data...1.5 tb that should be enough...hehe hehe
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power plug on back of Mini, need info | 3" CDs? »