New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Thost big 'ol iMac screens

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jeffk27

jeffk27 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac, 2.0 core 2 duo, 4 GB Ram, 320 GB HD

My current screen is 17" & seems adequate.

I'm trying to understand how often the extra real estate of the 20" & 24" iMacs are used. For example, when in Safari, can you open up the browers so it fills the whole 20" (or 24") screen, or will there always be space on either sides of the window that is unused? I usually only need one program open at a time, so 17" may be all I need. If there's a good reason to get a 20" I'm game, especially since the video card options get a little nicer.

Soon I'll have made my decision & all these silly pre-owner questions will end. But for now, I'm trying to get all the info I can before dropping the coin.

Thanks,

Jeff
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

The iMac maximum resolutions are as follows:

17" = 1440 x 900
20" = 1680 x 1050
24" = 1920 x 1200

The average website resolution is:

800 x 600

Why on earth woud anyone want to make their browser window take up the entire screen on their computer? Even on a 17", it is almost twice the horizontal and 50% more the vertical of the website, so you aren't getting any advantage here. Even if the site is 1024 x 768 (which is where some designers are heading) you still have tons of room left over if you "maximize" your browser window to fit your screen. It doesn't make the site any "bigger", it just fills out white space on the browser. It doesn't change or improve the page's content one iota. It simply doesn't make any rational sense to mazimize your browser window with a screen resolution that great in size.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
jeffk27

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
The iMac maximum resolutions are as follows:

17" = 1440 x 900
20" = 1680 x 1050
24" = 1920 x 1200

The average website resolution is:

800 x 600

Why on earth woud anyone want to make their browser window take up the entire screen on their computer? Even on a 17", it is almost twice the horizontal and 50% more the vertical of the website, so you aren't getting any advantage here. Even if the site is 1024 x 768 (which is where some designers are heading) you still have tons of room left over if you "maximize" your browser window to fit your screen. It doesn't make the site any "bigger", it just fills out white space on the browser. It doesn't change or improve the page's content one iota. It simply doesn't make any rational sense to mazimize your browser window with a screen resolution that great in size.
:black:
That's interesting. Maybe it's a PC set up thing. On every PC I've seen, either at work or at home, the web browsers open to fill the entire screen. I noticed at the apple store that Safari opens in a window of specific size with the rest of the desktop showing in the background. It looked strange to me, so I wondered about opening it bigger to fill up the entire screen. Your explanation makes sense, so it's making me wonder why PC's tend to flush websites over the entire screen as a default setting.
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

in most case you just hit the green + botton on safari and it ajusts the size according to the webpage. You can strech it to take up the whole screen.

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk27 View Post
That's interesting. Maybe it's a PC set up thing. On every PC I've seen, either at work or at home, the web browsers open to fill the entire screen.
That is because Windows PC users tend to suffer from "fullscreenitis". They have an inexplicable, desperate need to make every window take up the entire resolution of the current screen they are using. This need is present no matter what their current machine's resolution is. They could be using a notebook with a maximum of 1024 x 768, or a full-blown 24" display with a maximum of 1920 x 1200... it makes no difference. Fullscreenitis sufferers somehow feel that by making an app's window use up their entire screen real estate, they are getting the "most" out of that app. If they can't do this then they are "missing" something. Fullscreenitis victims usually start exhibiting this behavior when they use Microsoft Windows for a year or so, then they carry it over with them to other OS usage.

Bottom line is, windows do NOT need to be made to fill the screen, even in Microsoft Windows. This seldom offers any real or great benefit to any run-in-the-mill, every day application. Much like websites, many applications are designed with a resolution of 800 X 600 in mind. Increasing the default window size only creates more white space, or forces other parts of the application to unnatural extremes. Again, the act of making a window monopolize your screen doesn't offer any true benefit in most cases and it is merely a matter of visual preference. This preference doesn't actually mean it really works any better, it is simply perceived to "work better" because it "looks better" to a fullscreenitis victim.:radioacti :biohazard

Apple's lack of a "maximize" button is neither a flaw nor a quirk. It is simply the most sensible way to display a window with content. Clicking the '+' on the window in Mac OS X will simply adjust the window size to best show the window's contents. It doesn't make the window waste your entire screen. You gobs and gobs of screen space, so use it wisely and practically.
Displays these days have tremendous resolutions... due in small part to fullscreenitis sufferers. They always wanted things bigger and bigger, so screens adapted to allow for more apps to be run at higher resolutions. The problem with fullscreenitis is that resolution means precious little to them. What does matter is how large can they make a window. The bigger the screen resolution, the larger the victim 'needs' their windows to be. It is a vicious cycle, very akin to how an addict always needs 'more'.:black:

If you still absolutely must make the app window fill a screen, then drag the corner of a window to your desired size to set it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

on the 21" i use at work i've got the screen set to 1600x1200.

i normally have between 10 and 30 windows running with 5-15 different apps (mostly monitoring, ticketing, office apps, explorer and IE windows, remote desktop tools).

21" at this resolution is way more than enough space for even that much work.

so much so that i make all but a couple of my apps fit within the top 3/4 of the screen (under my taskbar on top). the bottom is for stuff i really need to keep an eye on - critical app monitoring and windows media player typically .

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

it really depends on what you are doing.. i have a dual screen set up on my quad that i use for post production of video. sometimes the dual 23's seam to small for me and i wish i went with dual 30's, but for personal stuff, my 17inch macbook pro is just perfect for me (with maybe a little wasted space on the side, but sometiems i throw a widget in there with stocks or something similar. )

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
bob@pflueger.co

bob@pflueger.co will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24inch iMac

ok here is a screenshot lol of "why would you make it fit the whole screen"
http://pflueger.com/24.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob@pflueger.co View Post

heres a screen shot of "why its easier to read if its not the full screen"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (168.1 KB, 46 views)

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
MESHUGGAH_7

MESHUGGAH_7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob@pflueger.co View Post

dude that's too funny. it's like EVERY computer on my campus. PC's make me so clostropobic.
QUOTE Thanks
markbrai

markbrai is on a distinguished road

First off, I havent any Mac experience yet so cant really comment on anything in OS X (its coming today though, yay!).

Although as mentioned above, it may just be a fact that from using Windows, I am now automatically attuned to using apps in full screen, but for me I find working in lots of smaller windows is distracting, especially if they are all layered up. When an app is full screen, it is the only thing that can demand your attention and so for me its easier to work.

But as I said this might just be because Im used to it, oh well, from today (fingers crossed!) its Mac for me so I'll see how it goes!

I bought the Mac OSX Missing Manual yesterday and its got me far too excited, there are some features where I was just thinking "Why is this not in windows, its just common sense!!!"
QUOTE Thanks
jeffk27

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbrai View Post
for me I find working in lots of smaller windows is distracting, especially if they are all layered up. When an app is full screen, it is the only thing that can demand your attention and so for me its easier to work."
That's been my experience. Apparently it's just a matter of getting used to filtering out the other layers. This is an entirely new concept for most PC users, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
QUOTE Thanks
markbrai

markbrai is on a distinguished road

Yeah, exactly, its just a case of getting used to it I suppose. In fact I've been doing coursework this morning in windows rather than fullscreen to try and get used to it....its not too bad really, bit weord though!

I think it might be easier when my Mac comes (possibly) as I'll be learning pretty much everything again so it wont seem like its changed....if that makes any sense!!
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Interesting. I grew up with Windows, starting with DOS/Win 3.1, and I have never used full screen for any app except possibly Photoshop, which really NEEDS the full screen.

Now as must be obvious from the above, I likely have a few years on the original poster of the full screen commentary. I wonder if this is a generational thing, where the current generation has grown up using full screen whereas us more ...ahem... experienced types have not?

It would be an interesting generational divide if this was the case. I wonder what causes it?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
jeffk27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
Interesting. I grew up with Windows, starting with DOS/Win 3.1, and I have never used full screen for any app except possibly Photoshop, which really NEEDS the full screen.

Now as must be obvious from the above, I likely have a few years on the original poster of the full screen commentary. I wonder if this is a generational thing, where the current generation has grown up using full screen whereas us more ...ahem... experienced types have not?

It would be an interesting generational divide if this was the case. I wonder what causes it?
Wonder if you're on to something here. I got my first home PC in 1996 running Windows 95. It's just strange that I've always taken for granted that a window takes up the whole screen & all other program are minimized within the toolbar on the bottom of the screen. One window at a time. Seeing the macs with a smaller window & anything behind it just looks distracting to me. I'll either have to retrain myself or stretch 'em out. I've been playing around with smaller windows on my PC & haven't gotten used to it yet.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro & ATI X550 256MB PCI XPRESS | tv recording »