New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Sound Trouble

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cueball

Cueball is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 Mirror

Hi peoples...
I need help, G4 mirror had power outage over Christmas. When I came back, there was no sound whatsoever, not even the startup "bong". Ive replaced the speaker, checked internal connections (to both speaker and motherboard), added external speakers, System hardware check with startup disk, still nothing.
Any suggestion, or ideas anybody.
Please let me know.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Is it possible to disable sound altogether in the infamous PRAM? Could some controlling setting there have been reset by the power outage?

This is likely a dumb question, but can you confirm that everything else works OK on the Mac - just sound has been effected?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Cueball

No, everything else is working fine. I have also reset the PRAM twice and still nothing.
QUOTE Thanks
andy_mx1

andy_mx1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: c. 2003 PowerMac G5 1.6 GHz; 3GB RAM; NVIDIA FX 5200 Ultra w/Apple 20" Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cueball View Post
No, everything else is working fine. I have also reset the PRAM twice and still nothing.
Just for the heck of it, are you sure that the audio key array (upper-R) on your Apple keyboard doesn't have the sound turned off?

. . . That's always the first thing to check, because people (especially kids) will inadvertantly touch keys while the machine is running, and this could be an area that was "touched."
QUOTE Thanks
Cueball

No, but the wierd thing is, when the sound buttons are pressed (volume up, down or mute) the icon on screen comes up very slowly, not instant like before.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I don't know the G4 architecture, but the above suggests a sound card that has gone south. Is this replaceable on a G4?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trouble with Superdrive | No sound cards? »