New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Worth getting a G4 or G5?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rift0065

rift0065 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM

I currently have two Macbooks, one I got for my girlfriend which is a Core Duo, and my own personal Macbook which is a newer Core 2 Duo. When I'm home I use my macbook at my desk attached to a monitor, keyboard and mouse, but I find that I often want to get up and move around with it, which is kind of a pain since I have to disconnect/reconnect everything whenever I want to move from my desk. I had to get a laptop though because of school and the need for portability, but I would still like a desktop also. I don't want to spend an awful lot of money on a new computer, since I just bought two macbooks, so I was thinking of getting a used G4 or G5 Mac Mini or iMac. Is it worth getting a G4 or G5 processor now that the intel processors have been released? Are they going to become obsolete soon? As far as processing power, I am not a gamer, I usually just surf the net, burn CDs and DVDs, do some image editing and web site design.. so I don't need a super fast processor, but it would be nice to have everything smooth and fast like on my macbook. Any input on this would be great, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
nukemm

nukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

They didn't make a G5 Mini, just a G4. The mini is basically an iBook/MacBook, without the laptop case. At this juncture, an Intel-based Mac Mini would be a better choice. If you do get a mini, get it maxed out on RAM, as the case is a real PITA to get open.

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
My Setup
QUOTE Thanks
kman445

kman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.66GHz Core2Duo // 15" Macbook Pro2.53GHz Core2Duo

i have a intel mini, the 1.83 ghz one witha gig of ram and it is pretty nice, at times i wish it had mor horsepower, but its allright

P.S. i am haveing de ja vu typing this

"I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I would go for the G5 imac, it will be more useful to you and will last you longer then the G4 Mini, plus its significantly faster.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
rift0065

What about longevity for the G5 processor? How long will it be useful before software begins being produced for the intel only platform? I actually found someone who I go to college with who is willing to part with a G5 iMac for $500.. I think it is a 17" but he wasn't sure. It is upgraded to 1 gig of RAM and he says it is in mint condition. Is it worth it or should I just bite the bullet and buy a newer intel?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I think that the G5 has a lot of software life left in it. The majority of Macs out there are PPC chips today. Any manufacturer putting out new software for Macs is not going to ignore the majority of their addressable market. It doesn't make economic sense.

I see new software for the PPC chips being available for several years to come, until the majority of Macs are Intel, and it turns out to be more work than it is worth in revenue for them to produce PPC versions. I think you will be OK on a PPC Mac (G4 or G5) for some time to come.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
rift0065

Thanks for the great replies, I have decided to buy the G5 iMac. BTW it is a 20" screen and it looks gorgeous. Hopefully it will last me a long time!
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

If you didn't buy that imac for $500... well.. that would have been stupid.. Thats a GREAT deal IMO.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
nukemm

nukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

I wish I could have a 20" iMac for $500. Sweet deal.

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
My Setup
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 Overclocking | Adding usb ports? »