New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Num Lock Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SIDTURBO

SIDTURBO is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" IMAC ALU, 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, 750gb HD, Leopard OSX.

HI,

APOLOGIES FIRST... I AM BRAND NEW TO THE MAC, 15 YEARS ON A PC... BUT I LOVE MY NEW IMAC.

BUT I HAVE A PROBLEM THAT BAFFLES ME.

THE SEPERATE NUMERIC KEYPAD HAS STOPPED WORKING IN MY NEW IMAC. WORSE STILL IT SEEMS TO FREEZE ALL MY OPEN APPS AND THE ONLY WAY I CAN UNFREEZE THEM IS TO USE FORCE QUIT,... SELECT AN APPLICTATION... THEN CHOOSE CANCEL IN FORCE QUIT AND THE SYSTEM STARTS RESPONDING AGAIN.

IN FACT I HAVE NO IDEA ON THE MAC KEYBOARD WHERE THE NUMLOCK KEY IS,... DO YOU ?

SEARCHED APPLES WEBSITE TO NO AVAIL.

ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN HELP?

THANKS... A MAC VIRGINhttp://www.mac-forums.com/forums/images/smilies/Terminator.png
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

There is no num lock key on a mac (but the caps lock is right where it is in pc's )

Did you install any software recently on your computer that may have interfered with your keyboard? Do you have another computer you can plug the keyboard in to as to test it?

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Note that there is also no Insert key, which makes the usual Insert/Overwrite toggle function a bit of a challenge!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
SIDTURBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
There is no num lock key on a mac (but the caps lock is right where it is in pc's )

Did you install any software recently on your computer that may have interfered with your keyboard? Do you have another computer you can plug the keyboard in to as to test it?
Hello and Thanks for responding,

Yes... I installed some utilities from the MacFormat free CD. Maintenence and Macaroni. Would these interfere with the keyboard?

Also I am not sure if I installed a program called Freeze Frame that optimises the program that is foremost on the desktop. I don't know how to check on a Mac what programs have been installed recently,... or even how to remove them.....

PC programs usually have an unistall feature. I got the Applications up in FINDER and sorted them by date. Only Maintenance showed up as being installed recently.

I am sure that the keyboard is not faulty. I will try it on my PC.

The way the fault can be remedied by using FORCE QUIT indicates to me that it's a software problem.

Still love my Intel Imac though...

And thanks again for taking the trouble to respond to my post.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac...ons/icon12.gif
Sid
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

A very basic OS X maintenance procedure, which in this case might cure your keyboard problem, is to reboot the computer, but hold down the apple and S keys as it starts.

When the type stops flowing, and after where it says root#, punch in fsck -fy (note the space before the hyphen), then hit return. This is the same as running the Disk Utility file repair from the DVD.

fsck tells the system to run a files check. The f after the hyphen means force check (because the system is journaled) and the y means yes, don't ask me whether each problem found really, really should be fixed.

If the message after the check finishes says the volume appears to be OK, type in reboot or exit, then hit return. This will complete the boot into OS X.

But if the message says errors were found and fixed or the volume was modified and is now OK, ignore the OK and run another fsck -fy because some errors hide others until the first ones are repaired. Keep doing this until the returned message says the volume appears to be OK but nothing about finding errors or making modifications. Then type reboot or exit, and hit return.
QUOTE Thanks
FuZion

FuZion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OS X 10.4.9... iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB DDR2 SDRAM

I have the same problem here.

I have worked out that if I press "0" on the keypad, as with SIDTURBO, my apps get locked. Well, actually, it's the active window that gets locked. Pressing "5" on the keypad releases them again for normal usage (Is this a "feature" so that you can keep control of a single application?).

Anywho, the fact that there are new functions to the keypad in this state leave me to believe there is a way of turning the keypads normal functions on & off but I have no idea how.

FuZion.
QUOTE Thanks
FuZion

I may have found out what is happening.

Head to Prefs/Universal Access/Mouse. I had Mouse keys turned on, meaning my keypad was controlling the mouse. Turning this off has give me back my keypad.

This explained the "0" & "5" keys I mentioned above. The "0" key held the left mouse button down (For highlighting things) & the "5" key releases the mouse button.

Hope this helps you out.

FuZion.
QUOTE Thanks
SIDTURBO

You Are Right !

My Mouse Key Was Set To 'on' In Universal Access. Now I Have Switched It Off The Problem Has Gone Away.

Brilliant. Thanks So Much

Sidturno
QUOTE Thanks
FuZion

Hehe, not bad for a newbee eh. I'm new to the Mac too, only joined in November last year. So far so good.

I have one problem I haven't got to the bottom of yet, but I'm sure it'll get sorted out: Desktop background not working correctly.

FuZion.
QUOTE Thanks
sullis

sullis is on a distinguished road

just a note to say thanks to the person who suggested universal access to fix the number lock issue on the mac/intell keyboard. i was going crazy. appreciate.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power Mac G3 B&W Worth Upgrading? | Overclocking »