New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Need DVD-RW Recommendation for a G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JTWood

JTWood is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone...

I have a G4 1.25 MHz 700MB+ RAM that only has a CD-RW in it. I want to get a DVD-RW to add to it, and I was hoping I could get some recommendations. I only found one listed in the Mac Store, and it was over $150. I'm hoping to stay under $100 before shipping.

Also, I've never put hardware in a Mac before. I've done it for PCs, but if there's anything different I should know about, a heads up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTWood View Post
Hello everyone...

I have a G4 1.25 MHz 700MB+ RAM that only has a CD-RW in it. I want to get a DVD-RW to add to it, and I was hoping I could get some recommendations. I only found one listed in the Mac Store, and it was over $150. I'm hoping to stay under $100 before shipping.

Also, I've never put hardware in a Mac before. I've done it for PCs, but if there's anything different I should know about, a heads up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
One thing you'll notice when you take apart a desktop macintosh: They have a much cleaner inside than POS PCs. :-D
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Most standard IDE optical drives will work with your PowerMac. I put an LG 4163B DL Superdrive in my G4 Sawtooth.

I dug this instructional manual up to help you with your drive, providing it's a G4 MDD.
QUOTE Thanks
JTWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x0r View Post
Most standard IDE optical drives will work with your PowerMac. I put an LG 4163B DL Superdrive in my G4 Sawtooth.

I dug this instructional manual up to help you with your drive, providing it's a G4 MDD.
Thanks. So are you saying that I can buy any IDE optical drive and it will work for both a PC and a Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTWood View Post
Thanks. So are you saying that I can buy any IDE optical drive and it will work for both a PC and a Mac?
It should work no problem.. The DVD burner I put in mine is about 3 years old and it works. I'm not too particular if Macs are that picky or not, as I have 3 different hard drives in my G4. I would say yes, go get a cheap $40 internal DVD-RW drive from Best Buy and plop it in. If it doesn't work, take it back.

Also, check out MacSales' CD/DVD section of their website.
QUOTE Thanks
JTWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x0r View Post
It should work no problem.. The DVD burner I put in mine is about 3 years old and it works. I'm not too particular if Macs are that picky or not, as I have 3 different hard drives in my G4. I would say yes, go get a cheap $40 internal DVD-RW drive from Best Buy and plop it in. If it doesn't work, take it back.

Also, check out MacSales' CD/DVD section of their website.
Awesome... Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
cakey

cakey is on a distinguished road

I picked up 2 of these for my Quicksilvers. Both work perfectly.

QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

No problem! Glad to help.

@ cakey.. I love your avatar!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SATA controller card compatibility for G4? | Ventilation And Crash »