New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - CPU Upgrade for G4 "Sawtooth"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mantanz

mantanz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 1.5Ghz, 2GB RAM, DVDRW, 360GB HDD

I recently upgraded my G4 350 to a PowerLogix 1.5Ghz CPU. It made a MASSIVE difference. But I was wondering, with the standard G4 logic board, should I have just gone to a 1ghz or similar? Basically, does the bus speed limit the CPU upgrade? Would it be worth going to a 2ghz or would it not be any faster?

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

Even with system bus bottleneck a 2GHz processor will be faster than a 1.5GHz processor. However, I don't think it would be worth throwing money at. If you absolutely must have more speed than a 1.5 GHz G4, I'd save my $$ for a G5 or a new intel mac.
QUOTE Thanks
awannabeee

awannabeee is on a distinguished road

that helps me too thanks guys i am new to macs, but i know in the pc world if you dont have the fsb to go with the cpu you are just making a bottleneck mess and you will dissapointed with your machine when it does only an little better.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantanz View Post
I recently upgraded my G4 350 to a PowerLogix 1.5Ghz CPU. It made a MASSIVE difference. But I was wondering, with the standard G4 logic board, should I have just gone to a 1ghz or similar? Basically, does the bus speed limit the CPU upgrade? Would it be worth going to a 2ghz or would it not be any faster?

Cheers

Yes. The bus speed does in fact limit the overall speed of the computer. You can go with a faster CPU but it's just never going to get that much better than you have now. I used to have one of those machines and the bus speed was what made me decide to get a new machine after i went the route you have. Right now your machine is a bout as good as it's ever going to get and you probably would not have seen a large performance gap if you had chosen a 1ghz CPU instead.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Years ago also had a Gigabit Ethernet upgraded with a Powerlogix CPU upgrade to run leopard. Was okay but very limited. Save your pennies for a Mac Pro/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Moving from old imac to new imac query | External drive problem? »