New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Starting Clean

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nycks1

I'm new to mac, I want to wipe the HD clean and do a fresh install of OSX. I just got a G4 466mhz 265mb of ram and monitor for $500.00 and it has OS9 on it. Can I do a clean install? If it's possilbe can some one run me thru it step by step? Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
.emo.

.hmmmm with 9 put the install cd in.and hold the "c" key down until the background has little cds on it and then youll know you booting to the cd.after that happens go to the cd on your desktop and opent he utilities folder then go to disk utility and then in the menu there should be something with thats sais options. then in there there should be something that sias zero all data select it. close that window and click initalize depeding on how big the HD i s will depend on how long it takes i remember a 20 GB took about and hour so yah let it sit over night or something. after its done reboot and boot to the CD again and then open the "install mac os" in the step i gave you smething might be missing or out of place but i did that from memory so if you see something that you know you should do or soemthing liek that do it cause im not 100% sure those are the exact steps but i know then you want to get to zero all data then initialize.. give me an emial if you need help ho7pes6fall1@earthlink.net
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

It's pretty straightforward. Just insert the disc and follow the directions. Keep an eye open for any buttons besides Back and Continue, and select "Erase and Install".
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamorro
It's pretty straightforward. Just insert the disc and follow the directions. Keep an eye open for any buttons besides Back and Continue, and select "Erase and Install".
Also, you don't necessarily need to erase w/ zeroes. That would be more appropriate if you wanted to sell your computer and ensure the next owner won't find any of your stuff on the HD.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« screen resolutions 15" | DIfference between iBook and G5, iMac »