New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - g4 boots to open firmware

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

boomer202

boomer202 is on a distinguished road

I just bought an old G4 gigabit 400 mhz. Came w/ no ram and no hdd. I put 2 x 128 pc133 ram and a 40 gb hd w/ os X 10.3.9. When I turn on the tower I get 1 long beep, followed by 3 short beeps (ram?) - the g4 will then boot to open firmware. If I enter "mac-boot" the box will boot to OS X off of the hdd. Why won't it boot directly to the HDD??? BTW - I am a mac newbie....
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, boomer202. I hope you stick around! :girl:

Ok first thing to try is Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM.
QUOTE Thanks
boomer202

Thanx MHC - I will try it. I have an up and running G4 and bought this one as a builder. It appears to be a frankenstein box. Supposed to be a g4 450 but processor is a 400. Looks like a collection of parts. But I can get it to boot and runs well once booted......I have a lot to learn.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

No problem! I hope this fixes it for you! If not post again and we'll try to figure something else out.
QUOTE Thanks
boomer202

reset the pram and nvram - to no avail. Noticed that when I plug in the G4 the power light on the fron panel illuminates immediately (without having pressed the power button) - the logic board plugs directly into the logic board. Anybody have a clue? If I turn the tower on/off (plug and unplug) several times it will finally boot to the open firmware prompt - if I do a mac-boot the box will boot and I have no problems...but when I power it off the problem starts all over again. Logic board toast???
QUOTE Thanks
boomer202

oops - I meant that the front panel board plugs directly into the logic board....
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Funny thing. I was looking up something else at Apple Support yesterday and stumbled upon this article: Apple Hardware Test CD: Computer Starts Into Open Firmware. I bookmarked it in case you'd still need help.

Probably the previous owner ran the older Hardware Test and got stuck in this somehow?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Or try Resetting the Cuda Chip.
QUOTE Thanks
boomer202

Worth a shot - BTW I have already reset the cuda chip. I will call Apple and see if I can get a hardware test cd v2.0.1 and go from there - thanx for your thoughts on the matter. I'd hate to think I would have to trash the logic board entirely - when I can get it to boot it works great.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Good luck, boomer!
QUOTE Thanks
andy_mx1

andy_mx1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: c. 2003 PowerMac G5 1.6 GHz; 3GB RAM; NVIDIA FX 5200 Ultra w/Apple 20" Display

boomer,

In case you're still having the problem and still monitoring this string, try checking for a 1/2 AAA 1.5vdc Lithium battery (shaped like a barrel, probably) somewhere on the logic board.

The problems you're having with boot sequencing seem reminiscent of the dread-dead-battery syndrome.

Just a thought. . .

You can probably find a replacement battery at any Computer store, such as CompUSA or Circuit City. Wally-world has a lot of batteries, too.

Call first?
QUOTE Thanks
boomer202

I changed out the logic board battery 1st thing....didn't help. Thanx for the suggestion though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Panther, Firmware, & iMac G3 | i think kernal panic got ahold of my mini? help! »