New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - iMac with Surround sound...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sthulbourn

sthulbourn is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have recently got a new 20" Intel iMac, however I can not seem to be able to use my existing 5.1 system. My speakers are the Creative P5800.

I have been looking at the various ports on the back of my iMac and I can't find a digital out, there are only two outputs for sound -- Input & Headphone port.

I have been reading the forums and various posts suggest that the "Belkin PureAV Digital Optical Cable with Mini-TOSLINK adapter" will do what I need, but I can't see where I would plug it if I should get one.

Thanks
Simon Thulbourn
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

the iMac's do not support surround sound but if you get the belkin item you were talking about it may work. but i dont know anything about the belkin item so you would have to research that.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

There is Griffin Technology's FireWave.
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

Hold on 1 second while I step in with some corrections here...

Firstly... the iMac DOES support surround sound, it just doesn't support the direct generation of surround sound in software. If I play a 5.1 DVD on my iMac I most certainly DO get Dolby Digital 5.1 (or dts depending on the disk) output!!

Secondly, the port for the Mini TOSLink cable is the headphone port - it's a dual purpose analogue / optical digital port. There's a small LED right at the back of the socket and an optical cable with the correct Mini TosLink plug certainly works as I have one hooked up at the moment to my Sony 5.1 amp.

I am not positive, but I think Firewave will allow you some surround sound in games or mixing your own sound but certainly for normal surround output from movies you don't need it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is it possible to replace the RAM and Graphics Chip in a 20" Intel iMac? | Some more 24inch Imac ?'s »