New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Can my Mini handle Tiger?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sexy Patrol

Sexy Patrol is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: '09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB

I bought a Mini in June 2005 (which I've since handed over to my sister when I bought my PowerBook the following October)...

Right now it's the only computer with internet access, so since I was on it, it got me thinking. It's a Q88 Mini with a 1.42GHz G4 processor, 256MB of RAM and an 80GB Hard Drive. Can it handle Tiger? A friend of mine told me that Tiger's a big step up from Panther (10.3.9-right?) therefore it's more taxing on the system. Would I have to upgrade my RAM if I wanted to jump to Tiger? Because a RAM upgrade is not in the cards financially right now. Just wondering if it would work. Also, my sister doesn't do any demanding tasks on her computer that would take up a ginormous amount of memory. She basically just uses Safari, Word and iTunes. If I were to get it back I'd upgrade the memory before getting on with my video editing... Thanks for your help guys!
QUOTE Thanks
rollershoer4MAC

rollershoer4MAC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G3|800Mhz|256MB Ram|ComboDrive|30GB HD|

It would work fine. Tigers minimum requirments are 256mb RAM so you'll me fine. It would probably work on my iBook G3!

iBook G3, 800 MHz, Combo Drive, 256MB Ram, 30GB, Airport Card...For Sale! Here.
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

i would upgrade the mini to at least 512mb before upgrading to tiger

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

I'll second EDIT-XTREEM - upgrade the RAM. My sister is running Tiger just fine (including Photoshop CS2) on a G4 400MHz with 768MB of RAM. I was stunned, I tell you, but it's absolutely fine!
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I would put more ram into it instead of paying for tiger and then put leopard on it when that coms out.. so put a $200 stick in there (like 1gb if you can) which would put you at 1.25 gb which would really improve system performance and get you ready for 10.5 in a few months. So you won't have to spend the money on tiger.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Sexy Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
I would put more ram into it instead of paying for tiger and then put leopard on it when that coms out.. so put a $200 stick in there (like 1gb if you can) which would put you at 1.25 gb which would really improve system performance and get you ready for 10.5 in a few months. So you won't have to spend the money on tiger.
Valid point, thanks PBG4. If I were to buy one copy of Leopard in the spring (that's when it's being released, no?) would I be able to put it on all of my Macs or would it recognize somehow that it's being used on multiple systems and lock up or something of that nature? I have two desktops (one running Panther, one Tiger) and a Powerbook running Tiger that I'd love to upgrade when I'm able.
QUOTE Thanks
Slokunshialgo

Slokunshialgo will become famous soon enough

I believe you would be able to, technically, use it on all of the computers, but it would be illegal to, as you ae purchasing one license, which means one computer. Maybe a family pack would be better then?

PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 2 GM RAM, Total 750 GB HDD, Windows Vista Business (For gaming), Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (64-bit), Slackware 12 (For GTK# coding)
Mac: 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Mini
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of

A family pack is only $50 dollars more (something like that?) and it has 10 licenses.

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I believe the family pack is a five user license.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

You are correct, good save.

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Tiger worked fine on my old G4 733Mhz Power Mac with 640mb RAM. 256mb is the minimum, but you need 512mb to get the most out of it really.
QUOTE Thanks
Pierre

Pierre will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
Tiger worked fine on my old G4 733Mhz Power Mac with 640mb RAM. 256mb is the minimum, but you need 512mb to get the most out of it really.
I'd say you need 512mb for it to run somewhat efficiently, but at least 1gb to get the most out of it.

Macbook: 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb Ram

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Sexy Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I'd say you need 512mb for it to run somewhat efficiently, but at least 1gb to get the most out of it.
Really? Two of my computers are running Tiger, one with 512MB and one with 1GB and both perform equally well.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Your other two Macs don't necessarily have the same hardware components and probably are speedier than the Mac Mini...
QUOTE Thanks
Pierre

Pierre will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive

And it really depends what you want to do and how long you want to keep it. I knew I could've just upgraded to 1gb in my Macbook, but I want to keep it for 3+ years (I bought it seven months ago) so I decided to go with 2gb. I figured I'd eventually max it out anyway

Macbook: 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb Ram

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to tell if a G5 is refurbished? | IMac G3 Questions.... »