New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - iMac Intel Core Duo - Memory Upgrade?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gav

Gav is on a distinguished road

The specs for the computer I am getting are:

APPLE IMAC 20"
- 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo Processor
- 512MB DDR RAM
- 250GB Hard Disk Drive
- DVD RW 8x Superdrive
- 128MB GDDR3 Graphics
- 5 USB connections
- 2 Firewire Sockets
- Built-in Speakers
- Mac OS X v10.4 "Tiger" Operating System

I have worked out that this means I have the "20-inch iMac (Early 2006)".

Looking at the Apple support site, this means that the 512MB is made up of ONE stick. See - here

I am looking to upgrade this to 1gb when I get it, should this be a case of just putting an extra 512mb in and would THIS memory be compatible?

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/111437

Many thanks, Gavin.
QUOTE Thanks
Seraphic

Seraphic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20in C2D iMac, base model. 30gb Video iPod.

Yup, should be ok if indeed the mac has a single 512mb stick to start.
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphic View Post
Yup, should be ok if indeed the mac has a single 512mb stick to start.
no it doesnt. it has two 256 mb sticks to start.
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

Quote:
from apple

The iMac (Mid 2006) ships from the factory with at least 512 MB of DDR2 SDRAM, in two 256 MB DIMMs; one in each of the memory slots.
there you go
QUOTE Thanks
Seraphic

His is early 2006, take a look here:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...cd_2.0_20.html

That says its a single stick. Do you have a link to Apple's site where it says the UK iMac's built early 2006 have 2x256mb? (which I would have thought indeed they would have, but a few sites seem to claim they don't).
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

i have an early 2006 and it is two 256 sticks. for a dual core proccesser you have to have both slots filled. oh and i would trust the apple website before everymac. sorry if i sound rude but thats the truth.
QUOTE Thanks
Seraphic

No, I wasn't disputing the facts (and I know you aren't being rude, as I am not), like I said, I'd have thought that it would have come with 2x256 sticks. It isn't however true that you MUST have two sticks to use a dual core processor. The reason for the two identical sticks is for dual channel ram purposes (which I'm not sure the iMac does support anyway, although I may be wrong) but its not a prerequisite of a dual core processor.

I would also trust the Apple website, thats why I asked for a link
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

Sorry iMacmatt but as Seraphic says, that's simply not true on the dual stick issue. I have a 20" dual core, early '06 model. It came with 1 x 512MB stick. I took that out and replaced with 2 x 1GB sticks.

So you do not have to have both slots filled. There are performance benefits if you manage to obtain 2 identical sticks but I have read that this is not simply dependent on 2 sticks of the same size, but also they need to be perfectly matched timing-wise or they still wont be used optimally. I have no idea how to test if they are being used in dual channel mode or not - anyone got any links to testing apps?

Gav - it's probably best just to wait until it arrives and then take a peek inside. I bought RAM direct from Omni Technologies in the States and, even with FedEx sticking on excessive fees to collect import duty I still bagged a bargain although the ebuyer prices look much better than I remember them 6 months ago!
QUOTE Thanks
Gav

Gav is on a distinguished road

Wow, a lot of heating debate here!

As it says on the Apple website, all Early 2006 models (with 512MB) left with 1 stick, I now have the product, and yes - it does only have one stick.

Many thanks

I'm really chuffed though - I got the iMac for £490 ($950USD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacmatt09 View Post
there you go
I have the Early 2006 model, not the Mid.
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

Nice one mate, that sounds a great price to me for a nice piece of kit. You should be well pleased.

When I upgraded, I received a faulty 1GB module (+ a working one) and while the faulty one was being replaced I ran with 1 x 1GB and I must say the performance increase I got going from 1 x 512MB was a lot more noticeable than I got going from 1GB to 2GB. If you're not planning on running many intensive applications simultaneously then you may find a 1 x 512MB upgrade is more than enough. If, at a later date, you find you still want more then eBay the 512MB modules - they fetch decent money there.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Some more 24inch Imac ?'s | iMac G3 wont boot Mac OS Cd's »