Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropped iMac

Dropped iMac
    Hi all,
    Ok, yesterday i had a networking cable run vicariously and needless to say i tripped over it and brought my new iMac crashing down to the floor. Now when i try and power it up the little light on the bottom right hand corner goes on for a second and goes right back off... Now I started trying to take it apart but most of the tutorials i read on the matter were written for iMacs without the isight camera.

I figure someone is going to tell me to bring it in to an apple dealer to have them look at it but if it is possible i would like to try and attempt to repair it on my own. I have a good background in repairing windows machines but i've never touched my mac or opened it because i havent had to . Any ideas? I'm not sure how far that kind of expertise goes on this forum but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Oh BTW its a 17" G5 model with the 1.9 Ghz processor, third generation i believe.

Specs:
    iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
    if you have apple care DO NOT OPEN IT. take it in.

Specs:
    ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
    DO NOT TRY AND TAKE ANYTHING APART. it may be covered by warranty or apple care.

how do i know if it is covered or not

Specs:
    iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
    call up apple and find out

Specs:
    MacBook
    It won't be covered under AppleCare. AppleCare does not cover accidental damage, only manufacturer's defects.

Quote Originally Posted by APP Terms & Conditions
    b. Limitations The Plan does not cover:
    (i) Installation, removal or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or installation, removal, repair, or maintenance of non-Covered Equipment (including accessories, attachments, or other devices such as external modems) or electrical service external to the Covered Equipment;

(ii) Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes
    APP Terms & Conditions

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

well if thats the case what are my options?

Specs:
    3 Ghz i3 iMac, Macbook Pro, Old G5, iPhone, iPad, and a drawer of iPods
    Geeee.....

"I have no idea what happened Mr. Apple Support guy. I just tried to turn it on and nothing but this light"

Two weeks later.......
    "Mr. Paul, was this machine dropped?"
    "Gee, Mr. Apple Support guy I don't think so. I just don't know how something like that could have happened"

Specs:
    Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 7+, Apple TV 4th Gen, Apple Watch (38mm Link Bracelet)
    I think talleyrand kinda said it, however much I hate saying it. On the other end, I think you should've been more careful, what can I say.
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System by hitting the icon on the left.

Specs:
    2.16 ghz MBP C2D
    Bottom line, I would lie like a rug! It got my MBP CD replaced with a C2D so chances are it would work for you. The thing is, if the iMac doesn't show signs of physical damage on the outside, they can't prove that you dropped it and besides, chances of someone dropping an iMac aren't very high. My suggestion is to try and scam them like that. I started out with a new ibook and gone through a black Macbook, MBP CD and now finally with the C2D and only had to pay $500 to upgrade from the black macbook to the MBP. The only difference is that I didn't drop any of them. The ibook I just begged for them to trade in for the new macbook and the mbp CD to C2D I just complained about heat issues and buzzing.
    After how many people are having problems with their apple computers, they deserve to be scammed like this more often.

Specs:
    Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
    Quote Originally Posted by obsolete_power View Post
    Bottom line, I would lie like a rug! It got my MBP CD replaced with a C2D so chances are it would work for you. The thing is, if the iMac doesn't show signs of physical damage on the outside, they can't prove that you dropped it and besides, chances of someone dropping an iMac aren't very high. My suggestion is to try and scam them like that. I started out with a new ibook and gone through a black Macbook, MBP CD and now finally with the C2D and only had to pay $500 to upgrade from the black macbook to the MBP. The only difference is that I didn't drop any of them. The ibook I just begged for them to trade in for the new macbook and the mbp CD to C2D I just complained about heat issues and buzzing.
    After how many people are having problems with their apple computers, they deserve to be scammed like this more often.
    wow...

Specs:
    27" 5k imac i7, 295x

that is not right. maybe for hillpw case to tell a little lie is ok (maybe), but what you are doing is imorale and just plain wrong, thats what ruins it for everybody. you abuse it, and everyone will lose it:radioacti
    "I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"

Specs:
    Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
    Yeah, I think talking about scamming Apple might be against the forum rules...
    Black MacBook
    Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
    B&W G3
    G4's - PowerMac & Cube

MacHeadCase
    I think this is all a question of taking one's own responsibilities. How can you go to Ford with a wrecked car and say there's a manufacturer's defect in your model!?! This is exactly the same thing. Jeez... :radioacti

Specs:
    MacBook
    Bottom line is, be honest about what happened. Being untruthful about how the computer was damaged in order to receive warranty repair is essentially defrauding the company.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Thread Information