New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Dropped iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hillpw

hillpw is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
Ok, yesterday i had a networking cable run vicariously and needless to say i tripped over it and brought my new iMac crashing down to the floor. Now when i try and power it up the little light on the bottom right hand corner goes on for a second and goes right back off... Now I started trying to take it apart but most of the tutorials i read on the matter were written for iMacs without the isight camera.

I figure someone is going to tell me to bring it in to an apple dealer to have them look at it but if it is possible i would like to try and attempt to repair it on my own. I have a good background in repairing windows machines but i've never touched my mac or opened it because i havent had to . Any ideas? I'm not sure how far that kind of expertise goes on this forum but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Oh BTW its a 17" G5 model with the 1.9 Ghz processor, third generation i believe.
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

if you have apple care DO NOT OPEN IT. take it in.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

DO NOT TRY AND TAKE ANYTHING APART. it may be covered by warranty or apple care.
QUOTE Thanks
hillpw

how do i know if it is covered or not
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

call up apple and find out
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

It won't be covered under AppleCare. AppleCare does not cover accidental damage, only manufacturer's defects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APP Terms & Conditions
b. Limitations The Plan does not cover:
(i) Installation, removal or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or installation, removal, repair, or maintenance of non-Covered Equipment (including accessories, attachments, or other devices such as external modems) or electrical service external to the Covered Equipment;

(ii) Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes
APP Terms & Conditions

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
hillpw

well if thats the case what are my options?
QUOTE Thanks
talleyrand

talleyrand is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3 Ghz i3 iMac, Macbook Pro, Old G5, iPhone, iPad, and a drawer of iPods

Geeee.....

"I have no idea what happened Mr. Apple Support guy. I just tried to turn it on and nothing but this light"

Two weeks later.......
"Mr. Paul, was this machine dropped?"
"Gee, Mr. Apple Support guy I don't think so. I just don't know how something like that could have happened"
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

I think talleyrand kinda said it, however much I hate saying it. On the other end, I think you should've been more careful, what can I say.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
obsolete_power

obsolete_power is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.16 ghz MBP C2D

Bottom line, I would lie like a rug! It got my MBP CD replaced with a C2D so chances are it would work for you. The thing is, if the iMac doesn't show signs of physical damage on the outside, they can't prove that you dropped it and besides, chances of someone dropping an iMac aren't very high. My suggestion is to try and scam them like that. I started out with a new ibook and gone through a black Macbook, MBP CD and now finally with the C2D and only had to pay $500 to upgrade from the black macbook to the MBP. The only difference is that I didn't drop any of them. The ibook I just begged for them to trade in for the new macbook and the mbp CD to C2D I just complained about heat issues and buzzing.
After how many people are having problems with their apple computers, they deserve to be scammed like this more often.
QUOTE Thanks
Arichards

Arichards is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsolete_power View Post
Bottom line, I would lie like a rug! It got my MBP CD replaced with a C2D so chances are it would work for you. The thing is, if the iMac doesn't show signs of physical damage on the outside, they can't prove that you dropped it and besides, chances of someone dropping an iMac aren't very high. My suggestion is to try and scam them like that. I started out with a new ibook and gone through a black Macbook, MBP CD and now finally with the C2D and only had to pay $500 to upgrade from the black macbook to the MBP. The only difference is that I didn't drop any of them. The ibook I just begged for them to trade in for the new macbook and the mbp CD to C2D I just complained about heat issues and buzzing.
After how many people are having problems with their apple computers, they deserve to be scammed like this more often.
wow...
QUOTE Thanks
kman445

kman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.66GHz Core2Duo // 15" Macbook Pro2.53GHz Core2Duo

Quote:

that is not right. maybe for hillpw case to tell a little lie is ok (maybe), but what you are doing is imorale and just plain wrong, thats what ruins it for everybody. you abuse it, and everyone will lose it:radioacti

"I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

Yeah, I think talking about scamming Apple might be against the forum rules...

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
I think this is all a question of taking one's own responsibilities. How can you go to Ford with a wrecked car and say there's a manufacturer's defect in your model!?! This is exactly the same thing. Jeez... :radioacti
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Bottom line is, be honest about what happened. Being untruthful about how the computer was damaged in order to receive warranty repair is essentially defrauding the company.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PCI wireless cards | No power for my G4 »