New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - No kids games are compatible?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

328iGuy

328iGuy is on a distinguished road

Hey

Just got a new iMac for Christmas for the kids, and have multiple games that are "Macintosh" compatible, however NONE of them will install.

They all seem to have the "Stop" (circle with the line through it) on the install executable files.

Is it something I am doing wrong, is there a way to get these to work?

they have to be able to work, I have tried about 6 different games and same issue with all of them.

Thanks a lot :radioacti
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Are these games for the PowerPC Apple computers or the Intel Apple computers?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
328iGuy

I think it's PPC.

Is there no way to play these on the Intel's?
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

they should run in rosetta. i have ran old power pc games on my intel machine before.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

ditto. they could be classic games though. that may be a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Gav

Gav is on a distinguished road

Some kids games have Windows & Mac on the same disc. Make sure your running the Mac software and not the Windows Executables
QUOTE Thanks
328iGuy

ok, but like I said I am a Mac newbie.

How do I run them in "Rosetta"?
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Rosetta just lets you run PPC applications on Intel machines; it's entirely automatic and you don't have to do anything in particular. I think Gav or eric might be closer to the solution. What version of Mac OS do the games require? If it's less than 10, then they're 'classic' games and will not work on OS X on Intel.

Out of interest, which file are you trying to run? There's usually a separate installer for the Mac version on the disk, as the normal SETUP.EXE or INSTALL.EXE are Windows only and can't ever work on a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

check you are installing the correct files. as others have said some discs have windows and mac version on them. games should run through rosseta although they will be a little bit slower.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 Cube | Hard Drives - Which Sata? »