New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Student looking for help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Weebles

Weebles is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,
I'm looking to make the big leap from a PC to Mac. I've been looking around and I think I'll only be able to afford the 17 inch 2.0 ghz iMac at the moment since I'm still in high school. The main things I'll need will be internet browsing, MSN, support for soulseek, iPod stuff and programs for school use (word processing). Would this Mac be a good choice for me?

I might be able to upgrade a bit later after I get some more cash. I'm thinking it would be best to upgrade my RAM first? The hard drive would be big enough and I don't think I'll be doing much gaming on it since I have my 360 for that stuff.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebles View Post
Hey guys,
I'm looking to make the big leap from a PC to Mac. I've been looking around and I think I'll only be able to afford the 17 inch 2.0 ghz iMac at the moment since I'm still in high school. The main things I'll need will be internet browsing, MSN, support for soulseek, iPod stuff and programs for school use (word processing). Would this Mac be a good choice for me?

I might be able to upgrade a bit later after I get some more cash. I'm thinking it would be best to upgrade my RAM first? The hard drive would be big enough and I don't think I'll be doing much gaming on it since I have my 360 for that stuff.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I think that Mac would be a good choice for you. When you do have a chance to upgrade I agree that you should go for the RAM upgrade first..

Good luck..

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebles View Post
The main things I'll need will be internet browsing, MSN, support for soulseek, iPod stuff and programs for school use (word processing).
Practically ANY computer on the market today would be fine for those needs. :black:
If you are dead set on a Mac, I would suggest getting a Mini. Much less expensive than an iMac and it would still be able to handle your needs quite well.
Make sure to try a Mac out first if you can, and be prepared for a learning curve with the new OS. The key is to remember to forget.... forget about Windows, that is. When you are using a Mac (especially a new user) be sure to turn off the "Windows switch" in your head. Don't compare Mac OS to Windows, forget how you did things in Windows, pay no mind to what apps there are in Windows, forget about the Windows file structure, the Windows look and feel, and simply forget everything about Windows period when using a Mac.
Learn how to do things the Mac way and don't look for crutches or any third party apps that will make your Mac look, act, work and feel like you are using Windows.
Trust me, it will make the transition and use of a Mac so much easier.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Pierre

Pierre will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive

I agree with all that he said--but the iMac's RAM is easier to upgrade. Unless you are willing to bust open a Mini with a putty knife, I'd order it with what you want (or get an iMac).

Macbook: 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb Ram

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« display/monitor | Best OS to use on an iMac G3? »