New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Is it possible to replace the RAM and Graphics Chip in a 20" Intel iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

omnicorp

omnicorp is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Is it possible to replace the RAM in a 20" iMac (ie, 2 x 512mb to 2 x 1gb) and the Graphics Chip (ie, 128mb to 256mb)? I heard its quite hard to get inside the intel iMacs. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
wytwolf

wytwolf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD

I don't have an imac but appl has step by step instructions online.

Remember google is your friend.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303084

Graphics chip is another story. Getting into the imac isn't too dificult. I've seen step by step instructions on how to replace the imac hard drive. But the graphics chip is pretty much built into the logic board. Remember they are bascially laptops with detachable mice and keyboards.
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytwolf View Post
I don't have an imac but i think i saw online that there is a slot on the bottom of the imac that the ram slip into. Graphics chip is another story. Getting into the imac isn't too dificult. I've seen step by step instructions on how to replace the imac hard drive. But the graphics chip is pretty much built into the logic board. Remember they are bascially laptops with detachable mice and keyboards.
Nope, they are desktop computers in a small case.

Anyway wytwolf was correct, there is a slot under the display is easy go get to and from there you can up your RAM. The graphics card is removable in the 24" iMac... I'm not sure about the 20. But when you buy your iMac online you have the option to up your video card so just do it there and you're good to go.

QUOTE Thanks
omnicorp

omnicorp is on a distinguished road

thanks! any recommendations on where to get RAM?
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnicorp View Post
thanks! any recommendations on where to get RAM?
I like ramjet.com

QUOTE Thanks
Ice Cream Man

Ice Cream Man has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad

Fry's http://shop3.outpost.com/%7Bl+xYoX70...roduct/4922151
QUOTE Thanks
Kulokoy

Kulokoy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.

www.otherworldcomputing.com
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...ame=Mac-Memory

Have built multiple systems over last 4 years, all with parts from newegg.
Their service has always been very good and pricing is typically at or close to the best you can find.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

The RAM is the only thing you can service without voiding your waranty. And it's the only thing made easy enough that it shouldn't really go wrong, provided you get the proper modules.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Remember they are bascially laptops with detachable mice and keyboards.

Nope, they are desktop computers in a small case.
No, they are closer to laptops precisely because the components are not detachable or replaceable. The iMac and Power Macs are very different - the latter has a motherboard with PCI and PCI-Express slots.

iMacs and Mac Minis are custom made in order to squeeze into a small case, regardless of the shape. Much closer to laptops in design.
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
No, they are closer to laptops precisely because the components are not detachable or replaceable. The iMac and Power Macs are very different - the latter has a motherboard with PCI and PCI-Express slots.

iMacs and Mac Minis are custom made in order to squeeze into a small case, regardless of the shape. Much closer to laptops in design.
It doesn't matter how small the case is or how accessible it is, the iMac still uses desktop components.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Disc burning problems | iMac with Surround sound... »