New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - IMac G3 Questions....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

youngwun0

youngwun0 is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone,

Now i am new to these forums as well as the mac world and hope i am not posting this in the wrong section but today i purchased an Apple IMac G3 on ebay, i realize it is nothing too special but i am just looking for another computer to use the internet on in here, anyway i was not aware but noticed that all the tower stuff are in the monitor on this IMac such as the hardrive, drive ect.... the hardrive is 10GB and i was hoping to get a bigger one but i'm not sure if ANY hardrive will do or does it have to be a certain kind ? Also i am looking to replace the CD-ROM drive with a DVD burner i have on my windows pc and was wondering if this were possible seeing as the drives are a bit different ?

If needed here are the specs of the computer:
Apple iMac G3 INDIGO computer (Model: M5521)
Processor: 400 Mhz G3 PowerPc
320 MB memory
10 GB hard drive
CD-ROM drive
Network: 10/100 Ethernet
Modem: 56.6k
Wireless: Airport Ready
Ports: 2 USB + 2 Firewire
Display: 15" color - Very crisp and clear display (13.8" viewable, .28 dp, 95 Hz-800 x 600).
Onboard sound with headphone jack
Operating System: Mac O/S 10.3.4 AND Mac O/S 9.2.2 installed

Any help would DEEPLY be appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
UnaClocker

UnaClocker is on a distinguished road

Nice machine, my favorite color, I used to have one of those when it was brand new. Had to sell it shortly after I got it. Still miss the thing. Anyways, that's plenty of ram, should run great. The hard drive, yes, you can use any standard old IDE drive up to 120gigs. I have a 60gig in my current iMac. As for the CD drive, you need to find a slot load laptop style drive. I'd recommend just getting an external enclosure to put your PC drive in. Just make sure you get one with Firewire as the iMac only has USB 1.1, so it'll be really slow if you use USB.
Also, you list the resolution as 800x600.. It'll do 1024x768 very very well. Makes the web far more usable.
QUOTE Thanks
youngwun0

wow thanks alot for the reply that was way more helpful then i though, well hopefully it arrives here well on Tuesday or Wednesday, Once again thanks for the help and i hope to learn a bit more with this and help others here later as well
QUOTE Thanks
cyberjazz

cyberjazz is on a distinguished road

Cool yeah i got a g3 as well mines goin to be for another pc for net and what not but i find MAC OS X is abit of a hog on the processor and ram whever i got to watch movies on it it drops frames like crazy do you find the same thing
QUOTE Thanks
youngwun0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberjazz View Post
Cool yeah i got a g3 as well mines goin to be for another pc for net and what not but i find MAC OS X is abit of a hog on the processor and ram whever i got to watch movies on it it drops frames like crazy do you find the same thing
I just received my iMac a few days ago but decided to move a movie i ripped into an avi onto it and try it out and it's the same for me, The movie shows double on the same screen and it's very slow/choppy i was hoping to watch a few tv shows or movies on it anyone know what the problem might be or if the mac shows better on different formats ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can my Mini handle Tiger? | force drive to open »