otheronenorehto
    Seagate 7200.10 incompatible? Detailed benchmarks!
    I posted this on the apple support discussions but have found no solace! Below it the thread from apple discussions, please I would like to know if anyone has any ideas or is experiencing similar problems. Please know that I have spent hours on google trying to research this so don't just post a link to the bare feats article or to xceler8yourmac Anything else is much appreciated!

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
    What software are you running on the machine? Why do you use BootCamp?
    What programs are you using in Windows? Are these benchmarks from Windows?

I can not see any reason why the it takes so long, if this is all within OSX. I can transfer 40Gb files in about 2 hours on my MBP. And I have no RAID. And I'm not running BootCamp. But I can do that even with IDE. I've done it before. I can not begin to imagine that this is the hardwares issue. I think it's a software thing.

You could just bypass the integrated and use a RAID controller card like this one. http://www.usb-ware.com/rocketraid-2...ress-g5-pc.htm

otheronenorehto
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    What software are you running on the machine? Why do you use BootCamp?
    What programs are you using in Windows? Are these benchmarks from Windows?

I can not see any reason why the it takes so long, if this is all within OSX. I can transfer 40Gb files in about 2 hours on my MBP. And I have no RAID. And I'm not running BootCamp. But I can do that even with IDE. I've done it before. I can not begin to imagine that this is the hardwares issue. I think it's a software thing.

You could just bypass the integrated and use a RAID controller card like this one. http://www.usb-ware.com/rocketraid-2...ress-g5-pc.htm
    Thanks for your response. I only have bootcamp installed to play games and because the firmware update could only be run from dos. Eventually I discovered that even though I got my Mac to boot up to DOS the firmware update still wouldn't work. Eventually I used an ancient dell. Anyway I still use windows for games and a program called ultrafractal.

However bootcamp is installed on a separate UATA drive that resides in the second optical bay. I have disabled spotlight indexing on that drive too and as far as I can tell it does not spin up when I am in OS X running the tests.

All the tests are in OS X, and when I run the tests the only other program running is disk utility. I really would only use the raid card as a last resort since I would either have to buy an external enclosure or disassemble the mac pro SATA interface to make room for power and data cables...

It is really wierd and frustrating. I feel like I have tried everything.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
    in this application I personally would never rely on integrated, or software for a RAID. I've seen good external solutions on ebay. But if you were going to do that you could use either FireWire, or eSATA. I personally prefer not to have my data in my machine anyway. I like external solutions, except for immediate projects.

Do you live near an Apple store, that you could take it to, and have the genius take a look at it. Could something be overheating? that is my quandary.

Specs:
    Mac Pro - Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors - OS X Leopard
    Quote Originally Posted by otheronenorehto View Post
    I posted this on the apple support discussions but have found no solace! Below it the thread from apple discussions, please I would like to know if anyone has any ideas or is experiencing similar problems. Please know that I have spent hours on google trying to research this so don't just post a link to the bare feats article or to xceler8yourmac Anything else is much appreciated!
    Hi There!

I was able to find some information out about the Seagate drives in general - 7200.10 RPM flavor. Please see this website:

http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/am.../intel/macpro/

They claim that there is some write bug in the Seagate hard drives SATA-II. Hope this helps!

Specs:
    MacBook
    NOTE: Removed lengthy posts. If this information was already posted on another site, please include a link.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Thread Information