New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Seagate 7200.10 incompatible? Detailed benchmarks!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

otheronenorehto

I posted this on the apple support discussions but have found no solace! Below it the thread from apple discussions, please I would like to know if anyone has any ideas or is experiencing similar problems. Please know that I have spent hours on google trying to research this so don't just post a link to the bare feats article or to xceler8yourmac Anything else is much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
Ice Cream Man

Ice Cream Man has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad

What software are you running on the machine? Why do you use BootCamp?
What programs are you using in Windows? Are these benchmarks from Windows?

I can not see any reason why the it takes so long, if this is all within OSX. I can transfer 40Gb files in about 2 hours on my MBP. And I have no RAID. And I'm not running BootCamp. But I can do that even with IDE. I've done it before. I can not begin to imagine that this is the hardwares issue. I think it's a software thing.

You could just bypass the integrated and use a RAID controller card like this one. http://www.usb-ware.com/rocketraid-2...ress-g5-pc.htm
QUOTE Thanks
otheronenorehto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
What software are you running on the machine? Why do you use BootCamp?
What programs are you using in Windows? Are these benchmarks from Windows?

I can not see any reason why the it takes so long, if this is all within OSX. I can transfer 40Gb files in about 2 hours on my MBP. And I have no RAID. And I'm not running BootCamp. But I can do that even with IDE. I've done it before. I can not begin to imagine that this is the hardwares issue. I think it's a software thing.

You could just bypass the integrated and use a RAID controller card like this one. http://www.usb-ware.com/rocketraid-2...ress-g5-pc.htm
Thanks for your response. I only have bootcamp installed to play games and because the firmware update could only be run from dos. Eventually I discovered that even though I got my Mac to boot up to DOS the firmware update still wouldn't work. Eventually I used an ancient dell. Anyway I still use windows for games and a program called ultrafractal.

However bootcamp is installed on a separate UATA drive that resides in the second optical bay. I have disabled spotlight indexing on that drive too and as far as I can tell it does not spin up when I am in OS X running the tests.

All the tests are in OS X, and when I run the tests the only other program running is disk utility. I really would only use the raid card as a last resort since I would either have to buy an external enclosure or disassemble the mac pro SATA interface to make room for power and data cables...

It is really wierd and frustrating. I feel like I have tried everything.
QUOTE Thanks
Ice Cream Man

Ice Cream Man has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad

in this application I personally would never rely on integrated, or software for a RAID. I've seen good external solutions on ebay. But if you were going to do that you could use either FireWire, or eSATA. I personally prefer not to have my data in my machine anyway. I like external solutions, except for immediate projects.

Do you live near an Apple store, that you could take it to, and have the genius take a look at it. Could something be overheating? that is my quandary.
QUOTE Thanks
kevin270

kevin270 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro - Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors - OS X Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by otheronenorehto View Post
I posted this on the apple support discussions but have found no solace! Below it the thread from apple discussions, please I would like to know if anyone has any ideas or is experiencing similar problems. Please know that I have spent hours on google trying to research this so don't just post a link to the bare feats article or to xceler8yourmac Anything else is much appreciated!
Hi There!

I was able to find some information out about the Seagate drives in general - 7200.10 RPM flavor. Please see this website:

http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/am.../intel/macpro/

They claim that there is some write bug in the Seagate hard drives SATA-II. Hope this helps!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Removed lengthy posts. If this information was already posted on another site, please include a link.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help!!! Is my iMac G4 700mhz dead? | SuperDrive will not stay open »