New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - How to tell if a G5 is refurbished?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

electrolounger

I heard from a used Mac dealer that if a Mac computer is refurbished, most of them will have an "RM" added to the beginning of the serial number. Can anyone verify this? Does anyone have a refurbished Mac (especially a G5) with this on it?

Are there any other ways to tell if a G5 if refurbished?
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrolounger View Post
I heard from a used Mac dealer that if a Mac computer is refurbished, most of them will have an "RM" added to the beginning of the serial number. Can anyone verify this? Does anyone have a refurbished Mac (especially a G5) with this on it?

Are there any other ways to tell if a G5 if refurbished?

I suggest you call apple and ask them these questions. They would know best.

1800-my-apple

good luck

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

I don't know about the RM business, but refurbs from Apple are basically brand new computers, their only stipulation is that they can't be sold for new. I'd recommend getting ones from Apple to get the best deal on reliable hardware.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

There is definitely a different prefix on the serial number, but it changes depending on the product.

Check the Chipmunk Serial Number Tool and it will tell you all about your device.
QUOTE Thanks
SunsetRoadzter

SunsetRoadzter will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribiner23 View Post
There is definitely a different prefix on the serial number, but it changes depending on the product.

Check the Chipmunk Serial Number Tool and it will tell you all about your device.
That site is pretty cool! I highly recommend it.

What is the distance between here and now anyway?:mac:

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

DUDE! I lost that link a while back and have been looking for it. THANKS for posting it!

QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

That's a kickass link. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina View Post
That's a kick*** link. Thanks!
is that aloud? i dont think :bomb: :black:
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacmatt09 View Post
is that aloud? i dont think :bomb: :black:
Strange... It displayed on the post, but was edited on the quote. :confused: Profanity aside, great link
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

i edited
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Printer Problems! | Can my Mini handle Tiger? »