New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Won't connect to router.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maccsyd

maccsyd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.16Ghz Intel Duo Core 2

I have the iMac 20" and was just wondering if anyone else has the same problem as me when I start up my iMac it won't connect to my router/internet, I have to turn Airport Off ... then back on again anybody any ideas how to cure this..........Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

won't connect automatically, or at all?
what happens if you just select your network from the airport dropdown in the menu bar?

also, have you tried a proper reset of your modem and router?
power modem, router, and mac off.
power modem on, wait a couple minutes.
power router on, then power mac on.
QUOTE Thanks
nukemm

nukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

I've been having a similar problem all day today, and I just figured out my problem, maybe it will help you.

Mine would attempt to connect, but then it would always say there was an error, or it just wouldn't connect at all if I was using the WEP key. Without the WEP key, however, it worked every time.

The problem was in the settings for the WEP key on my Mac. I had to change the WEP Password type from WEP Password to WEP 40/128-bit Hex - which is weird, because on my router the WEP key is in 64-bit mode.

Again, I don't know if it helps you or not, but it's a solution to a similar problem.

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
My Setup
QUOTE Thanks
Ice Cream Man

Ice Cream Man has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad

What brand, and model of router is it.

try putting a dollar sign '$' in front of the key.

make sure the router is set to use the first wep-key, and use the first wep-key on the mac.
QUOTE Thanks
maccsyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
won't connect automatically, or at all?
what happens if you just select your network from the airport dropdown in the menu bar?

also, have you tried a proper reset of your modem and router?
power modem, router, and mac off.
power modem on, wait a couple minutes.
power router on, then power mac on.
It won't connect automatically on power up . The only way it connects is by turning on Airport off and on then it connects. Its a Linksys WRT54GS router, and I have tried the reset .
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

when you start your mac, can you just go to the airport icon on the manu bar and select your network? maybe it just doesn't grab your network by default?
QUOTE Thanks
Ice Cream Man

Ice Cream Man has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad

here you go

http://www.resnet.uconn.edu/kb_netwo...nksys_osx.html

If this doesn't help, I'll do it in the morning. I have one of these routers, they are a pain in the but. And i don't even use it anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
maccsyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
here you go

http://www.resnet.uconn.edu/kb_netwo...nksys_osx.html

If this doesn't help, I'll do it in the morning. I have one of these routers, they are a pain in the but. And i don't even use it anymore.
Thanks I'll try this in the morning myself I'll let you know how I go.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Won't go to desktop & screen saver settings | Noob:Is this Quicksilver a deal? »