micseg
    Question Imac 333 Hard Drive
    My Imac 333 Died A Couple Weeks Ago. I've Taken Out The Hard Drive And Would Like To Get The Data Off It. Could I Simply Replace The Hard Drive In My 233 Imac With The One From The 333 Imac? If Not, What Should I Do.thanks.

Chamorro
    That should work, if the HD from your dead iMac was 8GB or less.

You could also temporarily disconnect your CD-ROM in the good iMac, set the HD from the dead iMac to Slave, start your good iMac, and copy from one HD to the other. Obviously, such a path would be easier on a tower.

Another suggestion: put the HD from the dead iMac in a USB enclosure. It'll be SLOW, but you won't need to open up the good iMac.

micseg
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamorro
    That should work, if the HD from your dead iMac was 8GB or less.

You could also temporarily disconnect your CD-ROM in the good iMac, set the HD from the dead iMac to Slave, start your good iMac, and copy from one HD to the other. Obviously, such a path would be easier on a tower.

Another suggestion: put the HD from the dead iMac in a USB enclosure. It'll be SLOW, but you won't need to open up the good iMac.
    I'll start with the disconnect the CD-ROM option. So I disconnect the cable from the back of the CD-Rom and connect it to the hard drive? And how do I set the dead Imac's HD to slave? I've been looking at USB enclosures but would like to avoid the expense for now.Thanks.

Chamorro
    Quote Originally Posted by micseg
    I'll start with the disconnect the CD-ROM option. So I disconnect the cable from the back of the CD-Rom and connect it to the hard drive? And how do I set the dead Imac's HD to slave? I've been looking at USB enclosures but would like to avoid the expense for now.Thanks.
    There will be 2 cables: 1 ribbon cable for your IDE interface, and a 4-pin plug for power. You need to change a couple of jumpers to change the HD to slave. Look for a set of pins w/o plugs on the back of the HD. Then look closely and you should see some of the pins are "joined" by 1 or 2 small plastic parts. The plastic parts are the jumpers. You'll have to do a search for the specific HD's jumper settings to get it to slave.

Thread Information