New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - G5 or intel

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BArchboy

BArchboy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20 inch 2.16Ghz iMac, 15 inch 2.4Ghz Macbook Pro, 30 Gb iPod

Looking to buy very soon (days) but i dont know if i shouls get a 2.33Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, or the Best g5 imac i can find. when are the software companies going to start putting out software that will run on the Intels without Rosetta (or what ever it is called), by then am i going to want a new computer anyhow so shoud i just go the g5???

what should i get around $AUD3000??
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Depends what you want to run. Apparently Office runs OK under Rosetta, but Photoshop less so.

I used to be of the mind that buying bang up-to-date hardware was a waste money (back when I was a Windows user). But when I upgrade in the new year, I'll get a 20-inch Core 2 Duo iMac with 2gb RAM - I wouldn't even consider a G5, even though it'd be cheaper. If you want to save money keep an eye on the Apple refurbished store.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
BArchboy

BArchboy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20 inch 2.16Ghz iMac, 15 inch 2.4Ghz Macbook Pro, 30 Gb iPod

but what about a CAD program?
ArchiCAD 8.1???
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Buy the Intel.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

There aren't many things left to make universal, the most notable being Photoshop and Office. They're already in the works and a beta of Photoshop is available, so they'll be out within a year (more likely 6 months, I think). You may as well get get Intel now - no point limiting yourself to older kit just for the sake of a few months, unless you want to buy another one sooner rather than later
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BArchboy View Post
when are the software companies going to start putting out software that will run on the Intels without Rosetta (or what ever it is called)

:blind: About a year ago....
QUOTE Thanks
fcgrabo

fcgrabo is on a distinguished road

Wait 'til MacWorld Expo, or whatever it's called in spring. Get a new iMac with a potentially better processor and OS X Leopard fully loaded.

That's what I'm gonna do,\.

MacBook 2.2, Mac mini 1.66, PowerMac 6500/250
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Get the latest and the greatest. The G5 isn't getting any younger and never will.

In a year the Intel machines will be taking a back seat to the newest Intel machine. Then where 'ya gonna be?
QUOTE Thanks
nukemm

nukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

Right now there is really no point in purchasing a G5, if you're looking to use it with apps that will be released in the future. It's not in the forecast for Apple to switch back to the PowerPC architecture, which would make any PowerPC a dying platform. It won't be long before the majority of apps put out for the Mac will be coded for Intel processors only, not just Universal Binary, which allows them to be run natively on both PowerPC and Intel machines. I'd rather deal with a little bit of Rosetta now than have to deal with the incompatibility of new software later.

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
My Setup
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What drive to buy to upgrade Mini to Superdrive? | AirPort Module in Mac Pro Tower »