New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - recommended iMac upgrades

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Digger

Digger is on a distinguished road

we're ordering a 24" iMac and have decided on the video card upgrade, and bumping to 2 Gig on the memory.

looking at bang for the buck factor, do you think doubling the HDD for $200.00 is worth it, or just use an external drive in the future? also, is a 2.16 Ghz to a 2.33 Ghz that big of a jump in processing power? is it worth an additional $250.00?

I know that the design of the iMac means buying as much as you can afford to begin with due to to lack of upgrades afterward. I just want to make the right choices.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

"I know that the design of the iMac means buying as much as you can afford to begin with due to the lack of upgrades afterward."

I could not have said it better myself..

Do the HDD upgrade and the GHZ upgrade.

after you buy your computer you can't do either though apple.

you could upgrade the internal HDD after you buy it for cheaper im sure but then you run into warranty issues..

good luck!

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
we're ordering a 24" iMac and have decided on the video card upgrade, and bumping to 2 Gig on the memory.

looking at bang for the buck factor, do you think doubling the HDD for $200.00 is worth it, or just use an external drive in the future? also, is a 2.16 Ghz to a 2.33 Ghz that big of a jump in processing power? is it worth an additional $250.00?
Good choice on the graphics and mem upgrade. IMO an external HD is the way to go. As for the increase of .17 GHz, I don't honestly know as I have the 2.16 GHz model, but I could give an educated guess that the average user wouldn't really notice the difference unless they were totally into benchmarking.

Man, your avatar is disturbing ...
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

depends on what you're doing on the computer, if you're working with large amounts of video processing or audio processing or image editing then it might be a good idea to have the larger hard drive built in. If you jusut need if for storage and have the desk space then you should totally buy an external.
QUOTE Thanks
jeffk27

jeffk27 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac, 2.0 core 2 duo, 4 GB Ram, 320 GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8 View Post
Somebody had to say it. I was thinking the same thing & your footnote made me laugh out loud.
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8 View Post
Now why would you say that? Looks completely normal to me.
QUOTE Thanks
Digger

Digger is on a distinguished road

thanks for making fun of my wedding photo.
QUOTE Thanks
BuzWeaver

BuzWeaver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

I know that the design of the iMac means buying as much as you can afford to begin with due to to lack of upgrades afterward. I just want to make the right choices.
The Hard drive is really going to come down to your personal preference, as another poster suggested an external HD can always be purchased later. I personally keep my Hard Drive (PC or Mac) at or below 50% capacity, I'll back stuff up and only run/load what I absolutely need (I'm anal that way).

The difference between the 2.16 and 2.33 is negotiable, I've yet to sell an iMac with a 2.33 processor. You can't go wrong with more RAM though! Point of purchase upgrades are the way to go.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External CD-RW / DVD Writers | Scanner Problem (Epson) »