New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Mini for son.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

my son has been playing flight simulator x and call of duty on my computer via bootcamp. I want to get him a mac on ebay.

Would a mac mini 1.6 duo run these games better than a pentium 4 3.0 with a nvidia 5200?

Also I know the mini uses the system ram for graphics, if I put more RAM in it will the gpu use more or will it stay at 64 MB? Can you change the amount of RAM it uses?

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
oragano

oragano is on a distinguished road

Id forget the macmini right now unless space is of a premium and you just want a mac for working.
On a good day you can pickup a 17" intel core duo on ebay for 500. So, sell the monitor you were going to use for the 399 mini and you get enough to buy it so your son can play COD etc much more effectively and be assured that he is getting a much better mac for the money.
Feel free to post any links you find and i can help you judge wether the auction is trustworthy or not. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

Can you upgrade the graphics on the imac?

the high end 1.83 mini and the low end imac share the same graphics.

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

AFAIK, only the 20" & the 24" have upgradeable Graphics. But Apple's quoted prices are for production line orders only.
QUOTE Thanks
oragano

oragano is on a distinguished road

Yeah, dont bother with the educational model. Get the 1.83ghz dual core 17" imac with radeon x1600. For the price it is a much better buy than even a top end 1.83ghz mac mini even with maxed out ram.
If nowhere else, try the refurb store on the apple website
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How long? | dual 2.0 g5 won't boot NEED HELP! »