New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - MS wireless keyboard - ejecting cd drive question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jstraw97

I just successfully connected a Microsoft wireless 6000 keyboard and mouse to my Power Mac G4, however I am at a loss as to how to tell the keyboard to eject the dvd drive. The keyboard and mouse come with some excellent MS software for assigning keys, however I am completely baffled as to how to tell the specific key I'd like to use to eject the dvd drive to do this. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Why on earth did the folks at Mac make a thing like ejecting the dvd drive so difficult???
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

you could always right click on the drive and click eject
QUOTE Thanks
jstraw97

But what if there is no disc in the drive in the first place? What if I want to open the drive to place a disc in it?

I'm still a bit new to the Mac world (which I love!), so maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems that a button on the computer itself to eject the drive (like PC's have) would have easily solved this....
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

hmm i see what you mean now well idk sorry
QUOTE Thanks
jstraw97

I guess the basic question I have is this:

If you do not have a mac keyboard with the button for ejecting the disc drive on it connected, how do you eject the disc drive?
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micro...ac-16332.shtml

never mind not f12
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

I have read that holding down the f12 key for a few seconds it should open

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacmatt09 View Post
or perhaps not
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelstumpf View Post
I have read that holding down the f12 key for a few seconds it should open

edit:

or perhaps not
the reason i said no is cause on my computer it just goes to the dashboard? i havent tried it for a disk yet
QUOTE Thanks
jstraw97

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micro...ac-16332.shtml

That is the EXACT keyboard and mouse I'm referring to. I had heard that holding down the F12 button will eject the disc drive, but that is not the case with this keyboard (it opens the print command window).

Does anyone have experience with this keyboard and know how to program one of the buttons to eject the disc drive?
QUOTE Thanks
kentheck

kentheck is on a distinguished road

The only way that I have been able to eject the CD tray with this keyboard (Microsoft 6000) on my Mac Pro is to open iTunes and then "Ctrl E" or under the Controls menu you can eject from there also.
QUOTE Thanks
advisorymatters

advisorymatters is on a distinguished road

The F12 key will work provided you reassign the default function beforehand. The default function is to open the Dashboard. If you reassign the Dashboard to, say F8, and leave F12 with no assignment, it opens the dc/dvd drive.

To do this select System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse

scroll down to Keyboard Navigation (open the options if closed) and find Dashboard (its the last in this list). You'll see it is assigned to F12. Double click on the F12 text and press the F8 key (it will change to F8). Now close System Preferences. Press F12 and it should now open the CD / DVD drive.

I'm using a Keysonic ACK-540RRF keyboard with built-in trackpad on an old Quicksilver G4 I'm using as a media centre. It has a standard PC type laptop layoout, and this work around works fne with it. It should work with any non-Mac standard keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
landaisi

landaisi is on a distinguished road

The reassignment of the F12 key as described above worked perfectly with my imac and an old Benq keyboard. Good advice, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 No Sound, Using Line Out | Error Message: "can't find the the harddrive" »