New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - opps-loaded desktop with 678 still pictures

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

easymac

HELP- I accidently click and dragged my photo's to my desktop when I was working on an Imovie. Now my desktop is filled with this files ( some say still and some say clips). I have a LaCie 250 gb harddrive hooked to the machine, fyi. How can I clean this mess up.

I dont think I have enough space to do anything right now. Keep getting the rainbow swirl..... nothing happening!!!
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

A little known featurelet is that, if you do that, just press command-Z and it will undo the move. As it is, just select the desktop, press command-A, then command-click the items you don't want to move (your hard disk, for instance). You can then move them wherever.
QUOTE Thanks
easymac

it will eventually highlight the items on the desktop.. but there is such a delay I don't know what is getting highlighted.. if that makes sense, but then they wont move to the trash when I click-drag???
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

select everything, then just command click to deselect the macitosh hd etc.. if you not sure drag it to the trash and you can then see them in a different view like a list etc..

hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks
easymac

I can get the desktop items highlighted but i was only able to "unselect" one item.. it just sits there....probably a space/memory issue at this point i would assume.

any other suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Don't select them from the Desktop itself. Open a Finder window and choose Desktop from the Sidebar. Then it will be easier for you to select/deselect your items from a window rather than the "actual" Desktop.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
easymac

I was able to do that from the sidebar but it takes forever to highlight them all and then I could only deselect one item.. it never scrolled down for me to click any others.. I waited for it to respond to my commands for over an hour.

I have a diskwarrior CD.. can't locate the Imac install disk - though I havent really looked. I obviously don't know much about this machine.. any other ideas?

what happens if I trash everything on the desktop ( including HD) will it really delete it? Just afraid if I do that then I wont be able to move it out of the trash if I have to... what a mess!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Remember when you place a file system, be it a CDROM, a virtual disk or a disk partition, it umounts the file system. I don't believe you will be able to place the system disk into the trash, since it has files that are in use.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Slokunshialgo

Slokunshialgo will become famous soon enough

Open a terminal:
cd ~/Desktop
mkdir ~/Pictures/temp
mv -v *.jpg ~/Pictures/temp/

This changes your directory to the desktop, then makes a folder in your Pictures directory called "temp", then copies every file with the .jpg extension to said newly-made folder. Change the .jpg to whatever you need for the other files in the last command, and re-run it.

EDIT: For the .jpg, make sure that the files are .jpg, as they might be .jpeg, .JPG or .JPEG (Assuming that they are Jpeg files)

PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 2 GM RAM, Total 750 GB HDD, Windows Vista Business (For gaming), Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (64-bit), Slackware 12 (For GTK# coding)
Mac: 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Mini
QUOTE Thanks
easymac

Thanks I will try that

is there a keybd shortcut for getting a terminal?

My machine is really slow.. I tried to open one and left for a few hours and its still not open
QUOTE Thanks
Slokunshialgo

Now, don't quote me on this or anything, as I'm not entirely sure. But if the slowness is being caused by all of these files sitting on the dektop, try logging in as another user (If one exists), opening a terminal from that account, and type in:
login <username>

This will log you in as the one you are trying to move the pictures for, then do the commands from above.

PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 2 GM RAM, Total 750 GB HDD, Windows Vista Business (For gaming), Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (64-bit), Slackware 12 (For GTK# coding)
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, you could always just select a few at a time to move them. That way you wouldn't have to wait for hours to have them all selected.

MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

Of course, you could always just select a few at a time to move them. That way you wouldn't have to wait for hours to have them all selected.

QUOTE Thanks
easymac

Thanks to everyone who helped! Logging in as a new user and doing the unix commands in terminal fixed my desktop.. Appreciate all the help!
QUOTE Thanks
Slokunshialgo

You're welcome! I was wondering how this turned out for you, and it's nice to hear you got it fixed!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to boot for cd | iMac CPU Upgrade Question »