New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Quad G5 not booting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Turtlehead

Turtlehead is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Quad 2.5, Powerbook 17" 1.67

The computer worked great. I'd just gotten it back from the repair guys, plugged it in, used it for a week, it ran GREAT!

Then, I decided to rearrange my office, and unplugged the computer, set it off to the side for several days.

Plugged it back in tonight, powered her up and poof... it won't boot. The monitors stay black, the computer spins up, and just sits there... spinning for a minute or two before the fan kicks into warp speed...

Tried to boot in terminal mode to access the hard drives from my other computer, but the G5 won't boot far enough to allow that. No chime, no nothing... any suggestions?

Thanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks
Books

Books is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0

Might be something not getting power...which I don't think you can do anything about. Maybe even a loose connection on the logic board or something.

QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

are your moniters connected properly?
QUOTE Thanks
Turtlehead

Turtlehead is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Quad 2.5, Powerbook 17" 1.67

Strange... did some more research... found a bunch of posts about people having problems with their fans running on high speed (nothing related with their computers not booting though) and it was a problem with their clear access panel placement sensor thingy not recognizing the panel as being in place.

So, I opened up the panel, saw lots of dust, blew inside a bit moving the dust around just with the breath from my mouth. Closed things back up and tried again.

Voila, everything works perfect!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere that opening the box up put to rights. Hopefully it won't do it again.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB thumb drive shows up as blank cd? | Dual G5 vs intel imac? »