New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Is it worth the upgrade?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

So I've been searching on the Net for places to buy some stuff to upgrade my old G4 tower (specs in my sig).

I've ran some rough numbers, and it's going to cost me just under $1000 CDN to dump 2gb ram, and dual 1.6ghz cpu's into it.. It currently has an ATI RAge 128 PRo 16mb video card, which I was thinking about replacing with a 128mb 9800 Pro AGP (~$70 CDN)

Plain and simple, would it be worth it? I'll be doing some Photoshop stuff, video encoding, sound recording with Garageband.. oppions? Thoughts? Should I just go and buy new?

I'm starting to get into game design.. I've read and heard that Windows is better for this, since 3Ds Max is Windows-only.. What about Maya? I'll be trying to do some development for the Xbox/360 consoles..

I'm currently running a Wintel 3.2ghz (Prescott), 1gb DDR2-533mhz, 6800GT 256mb gfx, which I was going to sell to fund this project to upgrade my G4.. I love Macs and OS X, I find it cleaner and better to use, but you all know that.. Should I stick with Windows or upgrade this beast?
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

id say go for it
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice

I mean, realistically, that'd be a fast computer.. dual 1.6ghz CPU's, 2gb PC100, 128mb 9800 Pro.. That'd even play games decently, heh.. But it's mainly for Photoshop/C++ Programming (you can write C++ on a Mac right?)
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

Im pretty sure you can write it even though i dont know how to program anything... but with ps it should be reallllly good maybe even faster than the intel macs..
QUOTE Thanks
Steve Adams

Steve Adams is on a distinguished road

Im doin that as well...I ahve a quicksilver 733 and im going max with eveything

dual 1.6'
1.5gig ram,
9800 pro mac edition
250 gig hd,
and superdrive.

should be able to run what I want then.:spook:
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Steve, sounds good.. I figured I won't even bother with an Intel Mac until CS3 is released.. I currently have CS2 Premium Mac Edition (PPC) and I love it.. However, when handling lots of images on my poor-old TiBook, it gets a bit sluggish..
QUOTE Thanks
Steve Adams

yeah,

im not really a mac fan but its better for photo and video I think, so im going to build it...going to cost about 500 to do, and will be close to a new mac in speed, for 1/3 the cost.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

You're spending a grand on a upgrading a computer that will not be supported in two or three years time. You've really got to jump to Intel in the next couple of years, otherwise you're heading down a dead end.

I'd get a new iMac personally.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

The main reason I want to do it is because I have Photoshop CS2.. I've heard it doesn't run as well compared to PPC Macs because of Rosetta and whatnot, so I might just wait till CS3 comes out to get an Intel Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Steve Adams

I think you would be fine with the upgrades and CS2 myself. plenty of speed with the duals.....
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Well, I upgraded my old 400Mhz Sawtooth G4 to to a single 1.2Ghz G4 and it bought me 2.5 years. What your looking at might be worth the effort. What G4 model is it and what is the internal bus speed?

QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

It's a 400mhz AGP Sawtooth... 100mhz System Bus..

Here's my upgrade list (I actually started a fundraiser to pay for this):

4 x 512mb PC100 - ~$65 USD each. (dang stuff is hard to find cheap! DDR is half the price!)
1 x dual 1.6ghz G4 CPU card - ~$450 USD (MacSales.com)
1 x 128mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro - ~$70 USD (eBay)

I've been putting a custom RAZR Portfolio I wanted to send to Motorola (even though it'll most likely get shot down), and using my TiBook is getting sluggish (dealing with super-high res images [stuff like 2524x4432]).

Judging from the benchmarks on MacSales.com, the performace quadruples overall. They don't give too much info on whether or not the system was stock (so I assumed it was). And stock on my G4 is 128mb RAM and a 16mb ATI Rage Pro 128.

Given with 2gb of ram, dual 1.6ghz cpu's and a 128mb 9800 Pro, this thing will fly compared to it now, and my TiBook. I'm really looking forward to this project, and am trying to get a video camera to tape the whole thing.

Feel free to donate me cash! Anythign is appreciated! lol.. I'm aiming to raise $1200 CDN for this project.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Your looking at doing more or less exactly what I did, 3 years ago.

Save the money and go with a faster single chip upgrade. The Dual chip won't do you much good with the 100Mhz system bus. That was the same machine I had and in the end I bought my Quad because the G4 was at the point of diminishing returns. The 100Mhz system bus is to big of a bottle neck. In the end, anything past a single 1.6 or 1.8 isn't going to make any noticeable difference (because of the bus) and you're just wasting your money. Anything over $500 - $600 tops is a wast of your cash, better to save it and buy a new machine.

Check about the video card. I think I went with a 9200 since the Sawtooth only has a 4X AGP slot and the 9800 would have been overkill.

QUOTE Thanks
Steve Adams

money is not the object, its the fun of building something usefull out of something not so useful. im going with the duals, why? because I can! and the duals do make the machine run faster in all the benchmarks. I think his machine is pc 133 bus not 100....i know its not much but everything counts.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

CS2 is fine on Rosetta. It can be a bit slow at times, but overall it's not at all bad and very useable.

If money isn't the object, buy a shiny, fast new machine which will be far more future proof than flogging a dead horse. A dual G4 is still a poor processor, however much fun it might be to strap two together.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quick Question | Replacing PC with Mini »